Chinese - simplified and traditional

Posts55Likes44Joined26/12/2019LocationBE
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Spanish

Shouldn't Simplified and Traditional Chinese be separated into 2 languages?

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Hi Michel. Do you mean just for searching reasons? Because I think from our end that would be the only real difference, and this can behandled by tagging and appropriate passage naming.

In the Philippines now.

Edited 
Native
French

But we do not handle the differences between other languages by tagging or appropriate passage naming.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's not a different language though; it's a different writing system. We can't do this right now, because we are putting all our efforts into the new mobile app. But if we are to do this in the future - how would it help you? Are you wanting every passage created in simplified to automatically generate traditional text, a traditional passage, or something along those lines? That would be one way of generating more traditional passages. Or are you merely trying to find a way to capture statistics for both writing systems?

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Native
French

Maybe I should have opened this in "General" to talk about it.

Since we are here to learn through reading - they look quite different.

I'm afraid to mix both systems. Maybe that's a newbie syndrom.

I think it complicates the learning to have both together. It would also complicate any language if we could learn it here from both typewrited and handwrited texts or complicate math if we had 14 + 5 = 19 and XIX - XI = VIII in the same course.

I didn't expect to have it implemented before you have the time.

I didn't expect it to be that difficult.

Just open the new language (with the option to split or join words), then let people put their passages in the correct one. No need to automatically generate anything. Existing passages can be moved later or duplicate if by any chance they are valide in both systems.

I wonder if we shouldn't also have pinyin, romaji, hiragana, katakana, furigana languages? Maybe not each of the Japanese options. Or maybe a sandbox language to play in with any transliteration. If we see a text with no kanji in Japanese we know this passage has no kanji but if we see it in sandbox it's probably something created to learn hiragana or to help in learning the spoken Japanese. 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts on this. I don't think we should create new "languages" to handle different scripts, but when we get some free time, we will consider what you've suggested, and maybe think of a different way to address these issues.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
    Feedback