fluency vs accuracy

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Can you be fluent in a language without having 100% accuracy? Think about times when you didn’t accurately follow the rules of your native language, but you were still perfectly understood by others. It happens more than we realize right? :grin: But this does not mean we should forget the importance of accuracy. How about you? In your opininon, what is more important? fluency or accuracy?

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Basically, accuracy is the ability to produce grammatically and lexically accurate sentences, while fluency is the ability to produce language in a coherent, effortless way. That being said, someone learning a language can become fluent but would take a whole lot more time to reach the level of accuracy a native possesses. 

If you're learning a language solely for everyday conversation purposes, then fluency will matter to you more. Of course someone learning it for educational purpose will go deeper than the person learning just because.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think so, there are native English speakers butchering the language but for the most part they are understood

However... If a foreigner who spoke no English went to that part of England and hung around those groups of people they would become fluent in chattin like dat bruv innit they would have fluent comprehension but not of English

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Don't they come hand in hand? I mean, how can you be considered fluent if your use of the language is not correct/accurate?

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think only those you are around and yourself would consider it fluent, it's too incorrect to be accurate

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

ikaymoreno wrote:
Don't they come hand in hand? I mean, how can you be considered fluent if your use of the language is not correct/accurate?

I agree with this comment, but I think OP meant "you know like 90% of a certain language but you struggle with the other 10%"? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Maybe this pertains more on language acquisition versus language proficiency? Things like... your language acquisition on a second language could be high but your level of proficiency is way behind the A+.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

dragonsky wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

I agree with this comment, but I think OP meant "you know like 90% of a certain language but you struggle with the other 10%"?

I don't get it. Hahahahaha!

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

ikaymoreno wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

I don't get it. Hahahahaha!

This is an example why I avoid using the term "fluent". There is no universally accepted definition of the word, so no matter which one you support, there are going to be people who disagree with you or get confused by your definition. But to answer the OP, I think accuracy and fluidity are both very important and I don't think one is more important than the other. But it's definitely possible to be more fluid than accurate and vice versa.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:

This may sound logical, but what I was trying to say is, accuracy is the ability to produce grammatically accurate English sentences, while fluency is the ability to produce language in a coherent and effortless way. I mean you can express yourself clearly eventhough your language is not accurate :) I hope it makes sense haha! 

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Michelle.Batan wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

This may sound logical, but what I was trying to say is, accuracy is the ability to produce grammatically accurate English sentences, while fluency is the ability to produce language in a coherent and effortless way. I mean you can express yourself clearly eventhough your language is not accurate :) I hope it makes sense haha!

Aaah. In that case, I think 'conversant' is a better word. :) 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I think so, there are native English speakers butchering the language but for the most part they are understood
However... If a foreigner who spoke no English went to that part of England and hung around those groups of people they would become fluent in chattin like dat bruv innit they would have fluent comprehension but not of English
And that reminds me of another discussion in the forum: should teachers always be native speakers?

Posted 
    Feedback