dragonsky's recent posts

Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I know a friend that went to work overseas and she started a family there, I can't imagine how tough would it be if she had a kid back home, it sounds like a hell of a dilemma 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

One week+ without my PC

tbh...having a week without my PC made me realzie how much real life news and everything going on in the world these days angers me 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Rai.S. wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Actually, I had to quit my full time job because I just can't juggle my schedule anymore. I feel bad for my husband because our budget's resting solely on his shoulders now but we both have been working non-stop for 10+years. We thought it'd be good for the kids to have parents instead of maids for a change. :P
As for your kids these days, I think it's more of the parents too. My kid had a friend who kept stealing her toys so I told her to not play with that kid anymore. We weren't rude or anything. I just told her to tell the kid they're not allowed to play together anymore. That kid's parents had the balls to go to my house and confront me because "we're discriminating against them because they're poor". That and her kid only takes stuff we can afford to buy anyway. Insert facepalm here.
I have two girls and my eldest is VERY outspoken. She's the one who'd get in people's faces if they bother her. When she was in 3rd grade, she had a classmate who kept teasing her "Gaby (Gabi) Gulay". This kid teased her for weeks. Then my kid snapped and confronted her. She asked the kid: Why are you like that? Don't your parents talk to you? Do you have a bad home? Don't your parents teach you good manners? Is that why you're poor?
Granted, the poor part is a bit foul but I still think it's incredulous that she's the one who got reprimanded and not the kid who teased her for weeks.

I totally agree. I used to work overseas, but decided not to go back at the moment to take care of my son. My son never had a "yaya". As much as possible, we only want family members to take care of him.
I feel like your kids are the ones being discriminated here. Facepalm to them.

How old was your kid when you worked overseas? Was he living with you in a new culture and country or did he stay back? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Apparently this is form here: https://sarangkoreans.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/demo_easy-to-learn-korean_picture_books.pdf

Here's the book:

http://easytolearnkorean.com/book/

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

ikaymoreno wrote:
Rai.S. wrote:
Wow. I'm really interested in home-schooling my son too, but I don't know how and where. Would you tell me more about it please?

There are several homeschool programs you can choose from. With my daughter though, we opted not to go with any of those and just make her take the ALS (Alternative Learning System) test when she's ready to go back. The last time she was in school was in 4th grade. We'll probably make her take it in time for Grade 7.
Our struggle with her is that when she went to school, she knew like 10 Tagalog words. So for a lot of the lessons, she'd just sit there not understanding what the teacher was saying. She's pretty shy too so she's not the type who'd speak up and ask the teacher to say it in English. By the time she was in Grade 4, she was struggling so bad with Civics and Filipino that she'd cry every time it's time to go to school. She gets bullied too. Once, a couple of boys locked her in the bathroom. When she got out, she called them pathetic and useless. A teacher heard and she was the one called to the principal's office for using bad words. Lol. Needless to say, they got an earful from me and my husband.
We've already tried several private schoosl in our area. We even enrolled her in public school so she'll be immersed with people speaking Tagalog. The teacher called us after two days asking us to move her to a private school. She said "I'm a Filipino major. I can't teach in English, ma'am."
So now I create lessons for her. Her lessons are a mishmash of things. For Filipino, she's learning vocab (months in Tagalog, counting, animals, etc). For English, she's working on high school level material. For Science, she's still on Grace 3 level but we'd be moving that up soon. Civics, she's on Grace 5 material. :)

I feel like homeschooling programs are good for certain individuals, but it should not be the norm or something that's for everyone.

I trust you made the right choice with your daughter 

Edited
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I love these comics that help you learn basic stuff about foreign languages

Thanks for sharing! :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Michelle.Batan wrote:
not feeling well today.. :disappointed:

OOh :( 

Get well soon ! :)

Gopal.Dwivedi wrote:
Hii

Hey! 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

:( My PC has some issued :( I should buy a new one but I don't have money for it :( I am actually typing this from an internet cafe..this is the third month in the last 4-5 months this is happening.. :( 

Rose.Angelie wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
the Alita"Battle Angel movie was released that day in my coutnry so I went and watched that. I enjoyed that movie

I got a movie invite on this but wasn't able to go and thought it wasn't interesting LOL Was it some kind of a computer-game-turned-movie kind of stuff? Haha

Hmm..well it's based on Asian comics (manga). It's set in the future. Everything is sci-fi, and that's all I can say without spoiling the main plot haha :D So it's based on a manga not on video game, altough the CGI is great 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

leosmith wrote:
World’s Languages Dying Off Rapidly

Ooof :(

Thanks for sharint his

Charlyn wrote:
Yes I think. But I hope they will saved for cultural preservation.
Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Probably many, but I think most willat leastbe more documented than past dead languages , thanks to the internet etc

Yeah, at least they'll stay in history forever for people into "past langauges" or at least as a "fun trivia" in the future :/

I guess this is part of the evolution of humanity, languages dying and the world using more universal languages

Edited
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Many people consider latin a "dead language"

Many other ancient languages can be seen as dead (or evolving into something else) from the "ancient times"

Do you think in the modern day and age we can see more languages becoming "dead"?

Maybe not in the next 100 years but in the next 500 maybe? Especially seeing as English is used more and more....who knows...

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Rose.Angelie wrote:
dragonsky wrote:

Well idk, for me personally I don't always have something smart to reply and I don't want to just reply something for the sake of replying. Sometiems I like the replies made to my comments instead of replying.

This. Me too.
Even on Facebook, when people comment on my own posts and I can't think of anything to say, I just like the comments and leave them hanging. LOL

Haha, I just like/heart/haha a comment :D 

Rose.Angelie wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Glad to see this thread is doing alright ^_^
ow are you people doing this Saturday? Is life treating you nice?

Now to answer this -
Saturday's so-so. Trying to catch up with some online work for this week since I missed my work days since Monday because we had to bring my baby to the hospital. She was admitted for 7 days and we just got home yesterday. Gaaad, I didn't realize how expensive medical bills and doctors' fees are these days. But so glad, she's fine now.. so back to work!

I raelly hate going to the doctor...everytihng is so bleak and ...idk just waiting...and paying..and talking about health..it all..scares me to be honest..

Oghenekevwe wrote:
My birthday was on February 14 and i literally couldn't go anywhere. There was heavy traffic everywhere, everyone was in a frenzy cos of Valentine's day. I just bought a bucket of chicken from KFC,went home and ate my soul away.
How did you'll spend your Valentine's day?
Oh and did i mention I got two cakes?

Happy belated birthday!!

Two cakes? That sounds awesome!

I did not celebrate the Valentine's day, but it just so happened that the Alita"Battle Angel movie was released that day in my coutnry so I went and watched that. I enjoyed that movie 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ha, really interesting topic, it's interesting that I am just now seeing this thread

Also, I had no idea that there were different sign languages

I thought there's just one universal with jsut some terms and stuff like that varying

Shows how little I know about stuff like this

Thanks for sharing that video above! :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Learning is making us grow as people and it helps the human kind evolve 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

SGP wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
I like how this thread is going on ^_^
This forum is full of great people ^_^

Y'know...I am also someone who really likes being in this forum.
And at the same time, there is something I keep thinking of once in a while.
How come that a not-so-small number of people join, make a few posts, and then don't even reply to e.g. their own introduction thread any more, not to mention any other threads? Don't want to sound like complaining. Simply wondering a little bit. And yes, I also had been sometimes absent for a few days. But still... does anybody have any thoughts on that one?

Well idk, for me personally I don't always have something smart to reply and I don't want to just reply something for the sake of replying. Sometiems I like the replies made to my comments instead of replying.

And as of this thread..well my idea was just for this thread to exist cause I've seen so many threads like this on other forums so I wanted this thread to exist without it being related to the rest of the forum, just people writing something about their day or a movie/book they've watched/read, or talking about some personal problems...

Idk, I viewed this thread as a "just write whatever" so you can get it off your chest thread haah

And @Rose, I feel the same haha :D In the stsart I tried to reply or like every single reply but now I get too many responses so I just view some threads and not every single notification I get :/ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Glad to see this thread is doing alright ^_^ 

ow are you people doing this Saturday? Is life treating you nice? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

To be honest I like almost everything haha

If you check my youtube history you'll find basically everything from metal, pop, rap to electro, folk, and all sorts of music

I also love parody songs and other fun/funny songs made for the purpose of making you happy/laugh/smile 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I haven't used it personally but I've seen many positive reviews of it.

I guess it helps if you want an easier approach for new learners. There's a reason why it's popular I'd say 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
I just thought of this joke
"English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though."
that's an awesome quote I love it and an stealing it

Jsut to clear it up it's not sometihng I came up with haha :D I just re-read my post and it may sound as if I came up with it haha 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I just thought of this joke

"English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though." 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

^ Thanks for clarifying 

Damn, 2 whole years to learn languages in year 2?

I wonder what's the "average" age for learning.

Like I suppose younger people can learn it easier than old people? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

So according to this if you spend around 90+ minutes every single day you'll be able to learn the languages from Group 1 in exactly 365 days - a year

Languages in group 2 would need a little more than 3 hours a day so you can learn them in a year 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

In what language do you think her thoughts are? :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I always had weird feelings towards English being the #1 language (you know what I mean...) in the world cause of these things tbh..

I love our (Macedonian) language and alphabet cause what you write is how you pronounce it. Every letter stands for itself in every sentence.

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

leosmith wrote:
Jade.Xuereb wrote:
i wonder how her language skills are today ?

We'll probably never know. On youtube, a child who can speak a few phrases in several languages is a miracle, a teen who can recite a memorized script in over a dozen is impressive, but a 30+ yo who is truly advanced in 10 languages is barely worth mentioning.

Haha, true

People just love seeing kids

Everything is marketing these days

There are a lot of parents that force their kids into doing something so they can upload it on the internet and get tons of views and possibly money and exposure 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

It's crazy how smarter kids are these days

When I was a kid I learned basic English when I was...hmm..idk.. 8? Let's say betwen 7 and 10 hahaah

But these days parents talk to their kids when they are younger so they can learn the foreign language better, and I often see little kids (4 year olds!!!) talking English.. 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

And....i LOVE (see what I did there) this thread :D

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Macedonian - Те сакам/ Те љубам

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Well, it'sValentine's day (in some timezones it's tomorrow) so...good luck understanding women! :D :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Also there's a comedy group in my country that have a line in one of their songs that's pretty funny.

Idk if this saying is known worldwide but we have a line saying "In healthy body - healthy spirit"

But the world healthy (when used in the sense of "IT is healthy" (about it, not he or she) ) is literally the same word as "Hello"

So they made a joke and translated it into "In hello body - hello ghost" 

:D 

(I guess spirit = ghost in many languages right? even tho they are both about different types of spirits/ghosts haha) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Rose.Angelie wrote:
Facebook has A LOT of funny translations, especially in our Cebuano dialect. It translates the words literally. LOL

Haha yes!

Looking for facebook translation can produce some amazing comedy, it made me laugh so many times :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I think there was a thread for something like this

I guess that concept of learning works, but only for some people. I think you have to be in a certain mindset for that, I doubt everyone can sleep learn by default 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
Shark fillet in a bun

Ha I haven't heardof that before for some reason. Thanks! :) 

Charlyn wrote:
Tapsilog, Longsilog, etc... related to itlog. Itlog means egg...:grin:

Longsilog sounds so fun to pronounce :D 

Like a word that sorta kinda rhymes within itself haha

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
One of the restaurants here latched on to the idea that's hotdog is a sausage ina bread roll and as they serve several tapas ina bread roll the English side of their menu says sharkdog coddog porkdog stuffed pepperdog chickendog.

Haha, what's a sharkdog? :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

These things happen. Some words in certain languages have different or multiple meanings so accidental comedy may happen :D 

So, what are the funniest translations you've seen?

I can't think of too many right now, but I'll surely write some examples later, as I've seen so many hilarious translations form English in my country

But the one I do remember is actually a Bulgarian translation of the movie "2 Guns" which was translated into something along the lines of "2 Cocks" 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I don't know if this will come off weird nor not but I feel like reading new articles in Pidgin makes the news more entertaining haha

I think the website has been around for a year now, it first came out last year if I recall correctly 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Aww <3

Cute kids on the internet you gotta love it

Altough it's kinda weird seeing a 4 year old that's smarting than me hahaa

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

idk why but the title made me laugh, I totally expected this thread to be about fanboys of some boy band or something :D I am a dummy

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Thanks for your explanation SGP, you know your stuff! :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

SGP wrote:
Oghenekevwe wrote:
I was looking up farmer in my dictionary and found different french words corresponding. I was wondering what the different nuances are between them:
un fermier
un cultivateur
un agriculteur
Any thoughts?
And please in the most simplified way possible.
First off, I really like questions like these. They mean that there is some more work to do (for those answering, and this time it could be me.)
un fermier --> le fermage
So according to the strict sense of the word, un fermier is a landholder in agriculture. You know... someone who sorta "leases" some land from a landlord, then uses it for his farm purposes.
But apart from that, a fermier simply is a farmer.
un cultivateur --> cultiver (to cultivate)
un agriculteur --> l'agriculture (female; agriculture)
So there isn't such a big usage difference after all between those three words, because they all refer to some similar things. In short, they (almost) are synonyms.

So to use a dumb example..

It's like..hm...

Let's say "Player" in English where a player can be a guy that plays sport but it can also be a guy that plays video games, and it can also be a guy that gets women easily 

?

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Rose.Angelie wrote:
I'm always fascinated with the Russian alphabet. I think this is a good start for those interested in learning to read the language. Though for me, I felt it's too much to handle after level 3. LOL

It adds a little eхтра flair when туринг sтuff with mиxед letters :D :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Came to this thread from other thread :D

I like this approach, looks really interesting! 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

ikaymoreno wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Can you explain more about it? What's the basis of "flashcard programs"? :)

I haven't tried them too but I think it's similar to how we use flashcards when learnign the multiplication table or something. I'll try it after I finish the project I'm working on. Don't have a lot of time these days.

leosmith wrote:
dragonsky wrote:

This thread about SRS might help you.

Thanks!!! :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

JenJoaquin wrote:
If you use Spotify you can follow my Spanish learning playlist... Songs that I like but are also easy to understand. :) https://open.spotify.com/user/jenjoaquin/playlist/5KteoNLX0Zrasl6CtQ3eB2?si=5oZyQLhAQhO9uT1Gb8Qy_w

Oh btw, have you seen some other playlists for other languages? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Charlyn wrote:
To love what you are doing is the key thing for me to learn a specific language effectively. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I don't get how there are people that actually are learning things without enjoying the thing, some people are just doing stuff cause they feel it will help them with their career or something like that, not cause they love it.

I wouldn't be able to do things unless I enjoy them 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

ikaymoreno wrote:
This article lists some pretty good tips. This tip is my favorite.
Spend most of your time in the language, not learning about the language. We acquire languages at a subconscious level when we get sufficient input and practice.

I agree with that tip, sounds smart and helpful

Michelle.Batan wrote:
the most important thing is to have fun :blush:

Haha this comment is so cute :D 

I mean, yeah, I agree, I share your opinion but not every person in the world is positive like you and me :D Some people can learn even without having fun haha :D

I personally discard things that bring me "misfortune" rather than happiness :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Welcome to the subreddit Luciana!

JenJoaquin wrote:
If you use Spotify you can follow my Spanish learning playlist... Songs that I like but are also easy to understand. :) https://open.spotify.com/user/jenjoaquin/playlist/5KteoNLX0Zrasl6CtQ3eB2?si=5oZyQLhAQhO9uT1Gb8Qy_w

Ha! I like your approach, it's really cool using songs for learning! :)

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I mean technically we all have accents :D

British people that speak British English will be seen by Americans as people that have accent.

American people that speak American English will be seen by British as people that have accent

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

HA!!!!!

I FOUND MORE!

HERE'S ONE FOR KOREAN!

http://www.ryanestrada.com/learntoreadkoreanin15minutes/index.html

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

What's the backstory behind having so many languages in India btw? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I love those accent marks in french tbh, they make the language look cool :D 

Also all those "non-pronounced" T letters at the end of some words make it look fancy :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

ikaymoreno wrote:
Don't they come hand in hand? I mean, how can you be considered fluent if your use of the language is not correct/accurate?

I agree with this comment, but I think OP meant "you know like 90% of a certain language but you struggle with the other 10%"? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Damn I had no idea so many languages were spoken in India tbh 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ha! This is really cool actually!

As a Macedonian I have no problem reading russian as we use a different kind of cyrilic but I like how this comic explained things easily.

This is really cool actually and really helpful.

Are there any comics like this for other languages? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'd really want to have a sort of an answer but really can't think of anytihing :/ 

It's not that I dont' have pet peeves, but I can't really think of any :( Sorry :( 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I like how this thread is going on ^_^ 

This forum is full of great people ^_^ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Oghenekevwe wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Ok completely random, but when I was younger I never understood the phrase "pet peeve".
What's the origin of the word/phrase? Like.."pet"...why is there a "pet" in the phrase? I don't get it :/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_peeve
This doesn't totally explain it.but i hope it helps.

Ha! So it came from a comic/strip

Many words have weird origins :D Thanks! 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Welcome! ^_^ I hope you enjoy your stay here ^_^ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

For starters I'll start with finding the dedication to clean my room lol :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ok completely random, but when I was younger I never understood the phrase "pet peeve". 

What's the origin of the word/phrase? Like.."pet"...why is there a "pet" in the phrase? I don't get it :/ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Welcome to the forum! :)) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I've seen a thread like this on multiple forums so I think a thread like this may be fun to have on this forum.

Here you can talk random things...talk about your life, what you're doing, literally anything you can think of!

Currently...I am sick :/ I have a cold and it definitely sucks :/

And how are you doing fellow forumers? (forumers is not a word but who cares :D ) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Oghenekevwe wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
I'd love to see a reality show with him traveling from one country to antoher :D

That will be something. Even if it's not a reality TV show,maybe a short film.

btw this thread reminded me of this:

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'd love to see a reality show with him traveling from one country to antoher :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Mike

Macedonia

Marsupial

New: U 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Personally I find reading easier (meaning I read the book faster) in my own language, but I try to read in foreign language more cause I want to increase my vocabulary 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'm talking about non-learning books.

Let's say you speak three languages. For this example I'll use Swedish.

Let's say you know how to speak Swedish, English and Russian

Your native language is Russian. You speak/know English on great level and your Swedish is not that great but you are still doing all right.

So let's take the book "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

The book is originally written in Swedish. And the book is translated in Russian, English and Swedish.

Do you:

-Read it in English cause you want to read it in a foreign language but you still want to understand all of it

-Read it in Russian cause you want to enjoy the book in your native language which you know best and which will make you enjoy the book most

-Read it in Swedish so you can experience the book as it was written but risk not understanding everything while also using this as a way to test and improve your knowledge

?

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Oh, I love this game!

Nigel

Nigeria

Narwhal

next: 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Wooo hooo! Just became a ranger! ^_^ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

over some really interesting things.. 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Faulty 

Lines

Out

Of

Reservation

New: SHLIMP 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Other than the alphabet and stuff like that, the conversation starters. Altough I'd rather know as much as possible rather than just concentrating on conversation starters, but I think it's easier to learn conversation starters and plus if you can talk with someone in that language it definitelly improves the confidence 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Happy new year Rose! :)

Well..idk, I guess I am still in the same vacation mode as you are haha :D I am trying to improve somethings but mentally I am not yet in "aww yeah let's do it all!!" mode 

And...hmm...I like your idea of "word of the year"! :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I am sure that knowing and being interested in a certain culture and the way of living in that country would help with learning a certain language, but honestly I think that it's only a slight edge for people willing to get to an "A+" level of knowledge. I think you can definitely learn the language if you learn on "autopilot" just learning the necessary things without being to immersed in the "backstory" of the language/country/culture 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
dragonsky wrote:

Ok I'll have to be boring and ask the question probably everyone asks you about their country.....how did you like our country? (Macedonia) :D

I only spent 2 days in Skopje. Skopje feels crazy with all its crazy statues, bridges, and restaurants by the river. :laughing: I do like the food!
What would you recommend for a return visit to Macedonia?

Many people recommend the Canyon Matka, so I'll be cliche and tell you to visit that :D

We have some museums as well (by the river)

Out of the all statues/bridges/etc I love our theater and the football stadium. The theater is also one of the many buildings by the river haha, but inside (and outside I'd say) it's pretty cool and old school. The plays are in Macedonian,but the building inside is pretty cool.

Also as a sports fan I love that our football stadium ended up being a host of the UEFA Super Cup last year with Manchester United playing Real Madrid. One of the highlights of our country to be honest.

Also, another cliche answer, but many people recommend the city of Ohrid as it has the biggest lake in the country and many foreigners visit it in the summer. However that city is notorious for scamming out foreigners with their prices (and I hope some people didn't ask you for too much when you ordered a food/drink or in the taxi) for example, a beer here is 2 bucks (at most) but since foreigners have more money they can pay them 5 bucks and no one will have a problem with it :D 

btw... in the last few yeas there's this "trend" of protests here, so it would definitely sound crazy if the city was blocked cause of some protests :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hey

Americans!

Love 

European

Yogurt! 

New: GRFEF  

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hmm, actually it's 16,400 for me too...this actually turned up being tougher than expected...cause like the first few rows were so basic and then out of nowhere it got tougher haha :D  

It would be fun if there was a site like this for other languages

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
meifeng wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Btw to answer my own question...I was at home haha :D
I got out during the day and had some fun with friends and I came back like 30 minutes before midnight so..yey :D
And as for my goals...well..I kinda want to release a book this year...
Now...I don't claim to be really good storyteller or anything..and I found out that apparently releasing a book is literally losing money and gaining nothing....but I still want to have a physical thing that I can hold in my hands and I can say "Hey..no matter if this is good or terrible....I made it! yey" :D

What's your book about?
I didn't do anything in particular for NYE, except maybe rejoice that buses were free on that day in Seattle!
2018 was fairly decent - I visited 20+ new countries, and decided that my previous job was really not for me.
2019 will involve looking for a new career.

Damn, 20+? That's a lot! Which countries did you visit?
Hmm. well I don't like to talk too much about a thing is not even half close to finishing, and at this point I just view this as a hobby and the tough part will come when I look for publishers in my country (and I asked some people that did that before so they told me basically I should just throw money without expecting anything)
Also, I don't fool my self that I am good or whatever. I just write in my style and I hope at least one other person likes it. I'm happy with little haha :D
Actually it's not a "book" per se, but it's a collection of short stories all set in one universe. Some characters and elements from some short stories appear in the others.
It's happening in 2149 in my country, and it's a comedy/satire. It talks about how life changed in the future, but how the human relations and what not still stays the same despite everything being different. Making fun of the problems of today by putting them in sci-fi setting sorta haha :D

New countries visited this year: South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Macedonia, Paraguay, Bahamas.
I understand. I don't like to talk about the stuff I'm writing about until the process has finished. Good luck - the premise sounds interesting!

Ok I'll have to be boring and ask the question probably everyone asks you about their country.....how did you like our country? (Macedonia) :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ha, I love the title of this thread :D Good on the clarification :D 

I will follow this thread closely haha :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
So all methods add up to like 2 hours right? Do you do this twice a week or every day?

It suggests at least twice a week.

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
If it your own individual plan you can probably adjust it however you like

I agree with you tho, 2 times a week seems just fine. I guess 3 times a week can also speed up the process but anything more than that is overkill...at least for me personally, I am sure there are people that do that 7 days a week probably :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

So all methods add up to like 2 hours right? Do you do this twice a week or every day?

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Also, as an alternative, what's a language that took you longest (but you managed to learn it eventually)? :) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
I got out during the day and had some fun with friends and I came back like 30 minutes before midnight so..yey :D
Now...I don't claim to be really good storyteller or anything..and I found out that apparently releasing a book is literally losing money and gaining nothing....but I still want to have a physical thing that I can hold in my hands and I can say "Hey..no matter if this is good or terrible....I made it! yey" :D

What's your book about?
I didn't do anything in particular for NYE, except maybe rejoice that buses were free on that day in Seattle!
2018 was fairly decent - I visited 20+ new countries, and decided that my previous job was really not for me.
2019 will involve looking for a new career.

Damn, 20+? That's a lot! Which countries did you visit?

Hmm. well I don't like to talk too much about a thing is not even half close to finishing, and at this point I just view this as a hobby and the tough part will come when I look for publishers in my country (and I asked some people that did that before so they told me basically I should just throw money without expecting anything)

Also, I don't fool my self that I am good or whatever. I just write in my style and I hope at least one other person likes it. I'm happy with little haha :D

Actually it's not a "book" per se, but it's a collection of short stories all set in one universe. Some characters and elements from some short stories appear in the others.

It's happening in 2149 in my country, and it's a comedy/satire. It talks about how life changed in the future, but how the human relations and what not still stays the same despite everything being different. Making fun of the problems of today by putting them in sci-fi setting sorta haha :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
Boy, is that a long (but interesting) article. I'm only 10% through it.
I think people tend to undervalue sleep, and overvalue ineffective workaholism. Sleep is not wasted time, because it really resets our bodies.
I always retort to people who tell me, "I can sleep when I die" with "Be prepared to die sooner than you expect then."

Ha! I love that response :D 

And I agree 100% with what you said.

Sleeping is really helpful with rebooting the entire body/brain... I had times where I felt terrible...had a quick nap of an hour or two and woke up feeling better

It's like a human refresh :D 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
It's not quite 2019 here yet (I'm in the USA West Coast now), but I shall join in:
1. Vietnamese: work on my colloquial by reading (try to read one daily news article in Vietnamese), and watch a bit of video to improve on my listening.
2. French: Work on my speaking/listening. Hopefully I will climb out of the A2 purgatory.
3. Spanish: Just finish the darned Duolingo course.
4. Thai: Work on my reading, specifically, I want to work through Thomas Gething's Thai Basic Reader.
On the note of resolutions, apparently one of the ways of achieving it is by making it public so others hold you accountable. So there, it's now on everyone else to bug me! :grin:

Damn, you are learning/"upgrading" your knowledge on 4 languages at once? That's impressive!

How is that going for you? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Oghenekevwe wrote:
I celebrated the New year in church, then I went home and slept all through.
2018 was a learning ground for me. I am more certain of what i want to be, who i want to become.
2019 is a continuation for me, to put together all I've learned so far and work towards achieving the goals I've set for myself.
So...... fingers crossed...:hand_with_index_and_middle_fingers_crossed:

We celebrate Christmas here in Church (Christmas here is on 7th of January), and I had no idea there were countries where the New Year was celebrate in churches., that's good to hear.

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
dragonsky wrote:
Anyone with a goal of reading more books in the language they are learning? I have a friend that actually learned a lot from re-reading books they read before

This is a good technic! A great way to learn vocabulary, I wish I had a broader vocabulary to start reading books in my target languages (I'm stuck with small texts) maybe THIS is my learning goal for 2019 :)...

I found Harry Potter helpful :D 

I think that you should start with elementary level books. Actually not even Harry Potter but books for smaller kids.

I know it sounds sorta degrading but I really think it helps. And if you understand the gist of it (no matter how small the book may be) then the confidence level grows! :D

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Woooo hooo!!!! 

Will you celebrate it? How was 2018 for you? What are your expectations for 2019? 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Anyone with a goal of reading more books in the language they are learning? I have a friend that actually learned a lot from re-reading books they read before 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hmm..this is an interesting technique and idk why I haven't heard of this theory(or however you may call it)

I mean...I sorta get it...but I think you should be really confident in your knowledge of the concept.

Cause hey, maybe I can teach it to a toddler..but what if what I thought was correct is actually wrong or I presented it wrongly? :/ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ooh, I have no idea how I haven't seen this thread before but...yey I found the "spoilers" for the badges/names :D 

hmm....

Idk if this is a hard thing to do or not... but if we keep the same names

But maybe we can make the badges/names choosable?

For example:

You unlock level "Elf" but..you don't want that name/badge to be shown on your profile and for some reason you liked "Dwarf" better..so you go to settings in your profile and you choose the previous level 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

You want to learn a new language? You want to improve something you already know? You want to travel to another country and test your knowledge with the locals?

Whatever it is...post it here! :)) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Среќни празници! (happy holidays) 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Finding

Universal

Native

Narwhals?

Yuck!

New: PRELSR 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

This is a bery interesting thread :D

Hmm...honestly...I don't think it will happen any time soon (or at all), but I never thought of this..

I guess letters "disappearing" over time is a thing that happens...hmm..

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

We celebrate Christmas on 7th of January here (and it's more religious than a commercialized like it's elsewhere) but MERRY CHRISTMAS folks!

It's been a lovely browsing this forum with you all ^_^ ^_^ 

All the best!! <3 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hey! ^_^ Welcome to the forum and I hope you like us ^_^ 

Posted
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hmm... interesting article.

I guess there's some truth to it. My mother always told me that sleep is important about learning stuff cause I always liked to pull all nighters haha :D 

I think it's not a thing that you should force it, but that the brain works on it's own while you sleep so I guess sleeping 8+ hours a night surely helps in a way we don't even realize 

Posted
Feedback