Feedback Requested for New App

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jacob.M wrote:
Thai script isn't rendered correctly.

Thanks - I wrote a ticket for this one.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts9Likes8Joined3/10/2022LocationTH
Native
English
Learning French, German, Spanish, Thai

Again, great app and website. I have just a couple of feature suggestions.

1. It would be nice if it would remember my page number when reading across multiple devices.
  2. Text-to-Speech would be nice for the reading tool. I'd like to markup the current page and then listen to the whole page.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jacob.M wrote:
It would be nice if it would remember my page number when reading across multiple devices.Text-to-Speech would be nice for the reading tool. I'd like to markup the current page and then listen to the whole page.

I'll bring up remembering page number across devices, but I think we discussed this previously and found it to be too difficult to implement. Regarding text to speech - you are aware that we have it for individual words/phrases, and are just requesting something like a TTS button for whole pages, right?

Posted 
Native
English

Yes, it would be nice for whole pages. Right now, I just go back and listen to the whole article in Edge.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

ok, we'll consider this

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jacob.M wrote:
Yes, it would be nice for whole pages. Right now, I just go back and listen to the whole article in Edge.

Hi Jacob, just a quick update/some questions on your items in work.

1) Remembering page number across devices is tricky because the number of words per page changes. We can make the bookmarked word always be in the current page - would that help?

2) Regarding TTS for a whole page - is this for passages that have no audio? Or is it just because it's easier than trying to play the recording for a specific page using the playback bar? We're just trying to see the value of adding this feature.

3) We are still working on the Thai rendering issue in the native app. We would like to delay fixing the mobile browser definition issue, so that we can concentrate our resources on the app. Is that a game-changer for you?

Posted 
Native
English

1. Yes, jumping to the bookmark would solve the problem.

2. Mostly for passages without audio, since I prefer hearing the native speaker when available. 

3. That is not a problem. The mobile browser still works, it is just a little clunky to have to click on another word to get rid of the box, so I've been doing most of my reading on my tablet or desktop browser. 

Thanks for your follow-up. 

Posted 
Native
English

I noticed a couple of small bugs. 

On the website when I try to switch from single page to multi-page view. I have to open and close the menu twice for the change to take effect.

On the mobile website it shows the "Login" button at the top of the page when I first open it, which is a bit confusing because I am already logged in when I click on the reading tool.

Also, TTS is missing for the vocabulary review section on the website, but is present in the Android app.

Keep up the great work. I recommend this app to everyone I meet if they are trying to learn a new language.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jacob.M wrote:
On the website when I try to switch from single page to multi-page view. I have to open and close the menu twice for the change to take effect.On the mobile website it shows the "Login" button at the top of the page when I first open it, which is a bit confusing because I am already logged in when I click on the reading tool.
Also, TTS is missing for the vocabulary review section on the website, but is present in the Android app.

Thanks! I wrote a ticket to address these.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

wrote:
TTS is missing for the vocabulary review section on the website, but is present in the Android app.

Added.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Jacob.M wrote:
On the website when I try to switch from single page to multi-page view. I have to open and close the menu twice for the change to take effect.
Fixed.

Posted 
Posts7Likes6Joined27/8/2020LocationCA
Native
English
Learning Spanish, Thai

In the reading tool on Android, characters are sometimes invisible, usually after ไ and ใ vowels.

Words like ให้ and ได้ in the following screenshot only show the leading vowels but not the consonants after them.

These words display properly in browsers, both on mobile and desktop - it's just the Android app that seems to have issues.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Osdz.Voh wrote:
In the reading tool on Android, characters are sometimes invisible, usually after ไ and ใ vowels.
We are working this issue (originally reported here).

Posted 
Native
English

Mobile Website:

If the dictionary / tooltip appeared above the text, it wouldn't get in the way of reading. I had initially suggested that it time-out quickly, but I think just moving it would be a better and probably easier to implement option

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Jacob.M wrote:
I had initially suggested
ok, I updated your note

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Jacob.M wrote:
On my phone, I have to use the mobile site though, because Thai script isn't rendered correctly.
Jacob - I think this is fixed now. Please confirm.

Posted 
Native
English

It seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

Posted 
Posts7Likes7Joined1/6/2021LocationGB
Native
English
Learning Swahili

Hi Leo,

The Playlist on the Android App is not working for me.

The Player jumps from the beginning to the end of the track and increments the 'number of times played' counter but does not actually play the audio. (See video attached)

Could you take a look at this, Cheers!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Joseph.Adams wrote:
The Playlist on the Android App is not working for me.
Sorry about that. Ticket written.

Posted 
Posts1Likes1Joined18/10/2023LocationPK
Native
English
Learning Arabic - Egyptian, French, German

I am just starting out with this app/site and the only thing i see lacking is the ability to import passages via one click. 

I understand epub imports are a bit of a hard ask due to costs. But importing webpages eithout copy pasting would make this an ideal language partner.

Readlang another great tool uses bookmarklets to solve this issue. I wouldnt mind going into my android browser and using the bookmarklet to import and then using my android app to continue the rest of my readings 

A tout a l'heure!

Posted 
    Feedback