Input desired?

Posts0Likes0Joined24/11/2022Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish, Yiddish

Ok. I've been using several similar sites/software over the years and I'd like to give some input on the site. It seems that LanguageCrush still has some way to go and I'd like to help out, if possible. Desktop only (I'll test Android in time).

Some lower hanging fruit:

1 - The edit box for Yiddish (no doubt also other RTL) is still LTR. The reading page is ok but the edit box is not. RTL + right-justified is needed for passage name/passage text/course name from what I can figure out.

2 - On the 'my courses' page: show word stats for each course. (unknown, total, etc + number of passages, level)

3 - On the 'create a passage' /edit page: remove the space above 'Create a Passage' and increase the size of the 'Passage Text' box by a few lines

4 - Allow for changing font size on reading page and in edit boxes (its so tiny!)

5 - On the 'course details' page: align the word stats better so they don't jump around from line to line (perhaps make it 2 lines by default:

Unknown Words (###%) Learning (###%)

Known Words (###%) Total Words (###%)

alternatively, shorten it:

Words: Unknown (###%) : Learning (###%) : Known (###%) : Total (###%)

6 - Show known words for each language on profile

7 - (Bonus 1) Allow for adding native languages as learning languages. I'm working on both of mine!

8 - (Bonus 2) Allow level to also be a range (A1-A2, A1-B1, Beginner-Intermediate, etc) (course details could be set manually OR just whatever the passages it contains have set (all passages are A1, it shows A1, some are also A2 so it shows A1-A2)

Language learner and lover.

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks! forwarded to the tech team

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I wrote a ticket for 1, and we will discuss the others in our next meeting.

Posted 
Native
English

I see changes relating to 1, 3 and 5. Definitely some good improvements there. Nice to see!

A little bug for Yiddish I've found: The punctuation mark maqef (U+05be) is good (doesn't split words) but the geresh/gershayim (U+05f3/U+05f4) split words and shouldn't. They're used to create abbreviations basically. Example word 'Tanakh = תּנ״ך'.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Mizda.Biggles wrote:
A little bug for Yiddish I've found: The punctuation mark maqef (U+05be) is good (doesn't split words) but the geresh/gershayim (U+05f3/U+05f4) split words and shouldn't.
I'll ask about this.

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
I'll ask about this.

Thanks a lot!

Posted 
Native
English

I realise now that issue 6 is dependent on 7. I can show known words for Spanish but not English or Yiddish - because they're 'Native' and can't be studied.

Posted 
Native
English

This site is too incomplete for development to move so slowly. Sorry, I can't use this software any longer.

Posted 
Posts55Likes44Joined26/12/2019LocationBE
Native
French
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, Dutch, English, German, Japanese, Spanish

Mizda.Biggles wrote:
This site is too incomplete for development to move so slowly. Sorry, I can't use this software any longer.

Perfection and rush are enemies of languages learning.

Posted 
Native
English

Michel wrote:
Perfection and rush are enemies of languages learning.

Yeah, that's true. However, this is about software being fit for purpose. Right now, it's not.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

We are sorry that we cannot implement all of your changes immediately, but we are doing the best with the resources we have. 

Posted 
Native
English

No worries, Leosmith. The site has promise but it's just not there yet. It seems to be the unfortunate curse of such software: they all end up incomplete and none push the envelope. I'm no coder, just an ideas and linguistics guy, so I've got to wait around until someone cracks it.

Posted 
Posts44Likes28Joined18/3/2018LocationGB
Native
French
Other English

Yours is an unusual case, most language learners aren't using this site to target native languages, I suggest you make your native languages learning non native and put a bogus native language. The site will remember what you set for translation languages,etc.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

wrote:
1 - The edit box for Yiddish (no doubt also other RTL) is still LTR. The reading page is ok but the edit box is not. RTL + right-justified is needed for passage name/passage text/course name from what I can figure out.
3 - On the 'create a passage' /edit page: remove the space above 'Create a Passage' and increase the size of the 'Passage Text' box by a few lines
5 - On the 'course details' page: align the word stats better so they don't jump around from line to line (perhaps make it 2 lines by default:

1, 3 and 5 are done

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

deleted.99687 wrote:
A little bug for Yiddish I've found: The punctuation mark maqef (U+05be) is good (doesn't split words) but the geresh/gershayim (U+05f3/U+05f4) split words and shouldn't. They're used to create abbreviations basically. Example word 'Tanakh = תּנ״ך'.
Fixed.

Posted 
Posts16Likes9Joined18/10/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Swahili
Other Chinese - Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, Thai

leosmith wrote:

wrote:

1, 3 and 5 are done

I’m not sure if it’s possible , but it would be cool if there was a way to have a filter to find the readings in the library that have video/audio connected with the reading instead of searching through them all . 

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

DG.Gardner wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s possible , but it would be cool if there was a way to have a filter to find the readings in the library that have video/audio connected with the reading instead of searching through them all .
There are icons that show this already. Or do you mean have a "more filters" button that allows you to only display passages with video/audio?

Posted 
Posts16Likes9Joined18/10/2022LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Swahili
Other Chinese - Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, Thai

leosmith wrote:
DG.Gardner wrote:
There are icons that show this already. Or do you mean have a "more filters" button that allows you to only display passages with video/audio?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive any notification for this message. But yes, that what i meant, like if there was an extra filter to only display those options. 

Posted 
    Feedback