Youtube import problem

Posts6Likes2Joined15/10/2023LocationTW
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Chinese - other

Hi all,

I've been using this site for about 3 weeks now and find it very convenient to practice texts that are several levels above my current reading abilities. Recently, I've been wanting to try out the listening function as well, but every time I try importing from youtube, instead of separating the sentences into words, every sentence is displayed as a separate word, which makes using the dictionary function rather difficult. 

I don't know if I'm missing some steps, or this is an error in the program. Does someone know a solution for this? I usually use Chinese - other, since the Chinese - mandarin language selection doesn't detect traditional subtitles. I don't know if that is relevant.

Thanks,

Rinske

馮芮珂

Posted 
Posts1644Likes1096Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

rinske.Visser wrote:
every time I try importing from youtube, instead of separating the sentences into words, every sentence is displayed as a separate word
Hi rinske. Sorry about that. Could you post a link to a video that does this?

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
Could you post a link to a video that does this?

The Youtube URL? I got the problem with the following videos that I tried to upload:

https://youtu.be/Br6Auw2CK_Y

https://youtu.be/dgCIYoHzNgs

https://youtu.be/7pDtIBRVLps

It ends up looking like in the attachment (sorry, couldn't get the image link to show the actual image).

Thanks!

馮芮珂

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks - ticket written

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Native
English

leosmith wrote:
Thanks - ticket written

Thanks!

馮芮珂

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

I know it's not optimal, but a work around that's not too intensive is:

1) create the youtube passage with the messed up, or missing, subtitles

2) use one of the many "download youtube subtitles free online" sites to obtain the correct subtitles

3) edit the passage with the correct subtitles

I did that with this one of yours.

One thing I forgot to address earlier - Chinese Mandarin can handle traditional characters; it's just not treated like a separate language. Regardless, we are still working on the ticket.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Native
English

Thanks! I'll do that in the meantime.

leosmith wrote:
One thing I forgot to address earlier - Chinese Mandarin can handle traditional characters; it's just not treated like a separate language. Regardless, we are still working on the ticket.

Whenever I try to import zh-TW subtitles from youtube but select Chinese - Mandarin, I get this message

"Could not retrieve a transcript for the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB-DLlP5Apk! This is most likely caused by:

No transcripts were found for any of the requested language codes: ['zh-CN']

For this video (wB-DLlP5Apk) transcripts are available in the following languages:

(MANUALLY CREATED)

- zh-TW ("Chinese (Taiwan)")[TRANSLATABLE]"

and then some more. Is this another error?

馮芮珂

Posted 
Posts44Likes28Joined18/3/2018LocationGB
Native
French
Other English

Try chinese - other as the language you import as or Chinese - Cantonese, I think there's rules about which languages on youtube that map to the language on language crush. I can't remember which one is used for zh-TW without looking but I'm pretty sure it isn't the Mandarin one.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

I've added the list of which Chinese language of youtube subtitles should map to which Chinese language in Language Crush to the ticket. I was surprised to see that there are 5 different categories for Mandarin, 3 for Cantonese and 4 for Other in youtube subtitles.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
    Feedback