Differences Within a Language

Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning French, Spanish
Other Irish

I've heard that the Spanish spoken in South America is different from that spoken in Spain. And similarly the French spoken in Canada can differ slightly from that in France. Does anyone have experience with this? Are the differences even noticeable or is just superficial things like slang and parlance? How does one decide what "version" of a language to learn?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

The Spanish in Spain is very different from South America but they understand one anotheranother. Just here in Spain the languages are very differentdifferent. The area I live in hey drop s and z and d and mix r and l and combine words often I found a nice example onlineonline

To’o U’te’e’ han i’o a E’paña.

Entonce’ tú ya sabe’ que no tenemo’ na’a de hela’o pa’a vosotro’.

Hay gente por to’o lo’ la’o’.

ItsItsit'sItsItsit's very lazy speech difficult to distinguish lots of words. 

An s at the end usually helps you know its plural the same as English so it gets confusing

Also they say sentences like qué te falta what are you missing / instead of what would you like so its very different to text booksbook Spanish the rest if Spain say Andalusians eat Spanish ( inferring they use it wrong) My valencians friends hate Andalusian Spanish. In Valencia they spell differently and pronounce differently . Andalusia technically speak Castilian but a version known as ceseo I think.

I believe a lit of it is no different to hearing someone in brixton speak English . 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018Location

Yes, Even I have seen these differences. In India, most spoken language is Hindi but you can find much differences the way they pronounce a word. In fact, you will find different meaning of same word like bebe in punjabi means Mother but in some parts of India it means sister.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Although there are lots of variations in the Spanish language, "standard" latin American Spanish (Colombian for example) isn't much different from Peninsular Spanish imo. The biggest difference for me is pronunciation of the z. Canadian French and hexagonal French are further apart, imo. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback