What is the Difference between your Native Language and the one you are trying to learn?

Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Korean, Spanish

What are your challenges? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Keyboard layout. :) I'm trying to learn Korean and their keyboard layout is different. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

You use different verb forms when you want to stress different parts of speech in Tagalog. In English we just emphasize the word. That's probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. So I'm torturing the natives by using MAG verbs for everything now, even though it's wrong, haha!  

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

I'm learning Italian. For me the pronunciation is the hardest part. It would be great to speak like a native speaker but there are certain sounds that I can't pronounce right!

Also, everyone is speaking their own dialect. So the second challenge is to learn that. Sometimes I say a word, but I'm not sure whether I speak a dialect or Italian.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined14/7/2018LocationAbu Dhabi / AE
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

In the Philippines, although we are using one common language, so called Tagalog; however, we speak also other dialects especially if we are having a conversation with a local people located at the extreme parts of our country. It can be evidently observed on younger generation today on the difficulty of using our national language; either not taught the proper way or how to say it with such great confidence.

So in conclusion, it will go back to the very foundation of their family who has the primary responsibility of honing, not only the character but also one aspect of child’s development, that is to learn and understand one and common Filipino language.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
You use different verb forms when you want to stress different parts of speech in Tagalog. In English we just emphasize the word. That's probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. So I'm torturing the natives by using MAG verbs for everything now, even though it's wrong, haha! :laughing: :grin: :sweat_smile:

I'm from the Philippines and even I can't explain how verb are conjugated in Tagalog. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jessica.Moreno wrote:
I'm from the Philippines and even I can't explain how verb are conjugated in Tagalog. :P

That's ok Jessica, because I can't explain English grammar either  

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

What's funny is that I teach English grammar. :P I know how because it's taught from grade school to college. I don't even know the Tagalog words for the parts of speech.  

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Korean, Spanish

PANDIWA (Verb) - Ito ay bahagi ng pananalita na nagsasaad ng kilos o galaw. 

Uri ng Pandiwa: (Types of Verb)

* Tagaganap - Answering the question "who" or "sino?" in tagalog (mag- , um- , mang- , ma- , maka- , makapag- , maki- , magpa-)

*Layon - Answering the question "what" or "ano?" in tagalog. Ang paksa ang layon ng pandiwa sa pangungusap. Known as "Direct object" in English.

*Ganapan - Answering the question "where" or "saan?" in tagalog.

*Tagatanggap - Answering the question "to whom" or "para kanino?" in tagalog.

*Gamit - Answering the question "with the use of" or "sa pamamagitan ng ano?" in tagalog

*Sanhi - Answering the question "why" or "bakit?" in tagalog.

*Direksiyon - Answering the question "to where/to whom" or "tungo saan/kanino?" in tagalog.

There are the terms, but it is easier to give an example or learn how to use it. 

Source: https://tl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandiwa

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning Arabic - Standard
Other Yoruba

My native language or tribe is what I'll like to call a Non-Internationally recognised language. It has limitations of being known and understood mostly around the Northern part of Nigeria. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning Arabic - Standard
Other Yoruba

And the language I'm learning at the moment (Arabic) is an Internationally recognised language, and it's just as beautiful as it sounds. ☺

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationKingston / JM
Native
English
Other Spanish

I'm trying to learn Russian. The keyboard layout and alphabet.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

ikaymoreno wrote:
What's funny is that I teach English grammar. :P I know how because it's taught from grade school to college. I don't even know the Tagalog words for the parts of speech. :dizzy_face:

Parts of Speech - Mga Bahagi ng Pananalita

:)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Janah.Facal wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
What's funny is that I teach English grammar. :P I know how because it's taught from grade school to college. I don't even know the Tagalog words for the parts of speech. :dizzy_face:
Parts of Speech - Mga Bahagi ng Pananalita :)

lol, good one. The only one I know is pandiwa. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

Try meeting as well, "Simuno" (Subject) and "Panaguri" (Predicate).

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

leosmith wrote:
Janah.Facal wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

As embarrassing as it is, I gotta admit I don't know that one either. O_O [Googles it] Goddammit. I kind of wanted to guess verb!

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English

Learning Arabic language is very advantageous if you intend to work in Arab Countries where Arabic is the widely spoken language. The privilege of being accepted easily besides your job qualification and put in a priority level over those non-Arabic speaker expat.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Janah.Facal wrote:
Try meeting as well, "Simuno" (Subject) and "Panaguri" (Predicate).
:grin:

nice!

ikaymoreno wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Janah.Facal wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

As embarrassing as it is, I gotta admit I don't know that one either. O_O [Googles it] Goddammit. I kind of wanted to guess verb!

Lol. The only reason I know it is because I like to complain about them so often.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I've been trying to conjugate Tagalog verbs in my head and I still can't find the logic. Lol.

Akyat (Climb)

aakyat - will climb (simple future)

akyat - climb (simple present)

umakyat - climbed (simple past)

aakyatin - will be climbing (future progressive?)

inaakyat - climbing (present progressive?)

umaakyat - climbing (present progressive?)

Then there are these and I don't even know how to categorize them. Lol.

nagakyatan - climbed (plural subject) 

magakyat - to bring something up

akyatin - to climb (no idea)

@_@ I give up.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018Location

Trying to learn spanish, difficulty facing is pronunciation :(.

Posted 
    Feedback