Do only spoken language need to be given preferance in school or should sign language be made mandatory to learn.

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018Location

When I was in school we were told to learn languages that written. But now dont you think that learning sign language is much more important as it is more universal and inclusive.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

SujithPrathap wrote:
sign language is much more important as it is more universal and inclusive.

Please cite this.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

I think that all kids around world should have at least another language as the level of their native. Even if you have the worldwide language (English) as native, there are other like portuguese that is spoken for more than 250M people in the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I have always wondered this about sign language: Does signing in one language use the same gestures or carry the same meaning as signing in another language? Is there such a thing? Or do the signs for "I like you very much" for example, mean the same in any spoken or written language?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I have always wondered this about sign language: Does signing in one language use the same gestures or carry the same meaning as signing in another language? Is there such a thing? Or do the signs for "I like you very much" for example, mean the same in any spoken or written language?

Sign languages are just as varied as spoken languages, and they evolve and develop just as spoken languages do.

However, for historical reasons, a huge amount of sign languages are descended from Old French Sign Language. So, just as languages descended from Latin have a lot of similarities and share a lot of words, languages descended from Old French Sign Language also have a lot of similarities.

And one more thing to note: just because two countries both share a spoken language, they may not share a sign language. American Sign Language (ASL) and British Sign Language (BSL) are completely different languages, and they don't even share very many words because ASL descended from Old French Sign Language and BSL did not.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog

Remarkable! So it's perfectly natural to see two people trying to sign to each other... in frustration?

And does that mean that French Sign Language has more widespread use?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/7/2018LocationPhiladelphia / US
Native
English
Learning Japanese

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Remarkable! So it's perfectly natural to see two people trying to sign to each other... in frustration?

At least where I live, almost all signers use the same language, so there isn't much confusion.

French Sign language doesn't have particularly wide use-- the reason why so many sign languages can be traced back to old french sign language is because France had the world's first school for the deaf, and then other countries modeled their deaf education on France's school, hired deaf instructors from France to start schools in other countries.

Using the situation in the United States as an example (because I am more familiar with it), the language that developed in the United States almost immediately split off from old french sign language, becoming creolized with the native languages that the students already spoke. That language would eventually become ASL, or American Sign Language. 

Usage stats are difficult to know for sign languages. For example, the US census does not collect data about sign language, so it's not possible to say how many native speakers ASL has. It's a similar situation in many countries.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

devilyoudont wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

At least where I live, almost all signers use the same language, so there isn't much confusion.
French Sign language doesn't have particularly wide use-- the reason why so many sign languages can be traced back to old french sign language is because France had the world's first school for the deaf, and then other countries modeled their deaf education on France's school, hired deaf instructors from France to start schools in other countries.
Using the situation in the United States as an example (because I am more familiar with it), the language that developed in the United States almost immediately split off from old french sign language, becoming creolized with the native languages that the students already spoke. That language would eventually become ASL, or American Sign Language.
Usage stats are difficult to know for sign languages. For example, the US census does not collect data about sign language, so it's not possible to say how many native speakers ASL has. It's a similar situation in many countries.

Well, that's curious. I suppose there aren't enough users of ASL or French Sign that it would make a significant impact to public communication. Still, it would be interesting to note that from that perspective, sign language is not universal. I still think it would be really cool to learn, though. Interesting, interesting...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

I was fortunate enough to learn basic sign language as a kid in summer camp but I feel like it should be taught in schools. Actually I'm surprised that more hearing people, myself included, don't use sign as a way to communicate when it's hard to hear (like at a loud bar) or when you have to be quiet (like backstage at a performance). More importantly, if there was an expectation that everyone learn sign language, hard of hearing people would be less isolated and there would be fewer deadly misunderstandings with emergency personnel and police like this one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/us/oklahoma-city-police-shooting-deaf.html

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

SarahSchaffer wrote:
I was fortunate enough to learn basic sign language as a kid in summer camp but I feel like it should be taught in schools. Actually I'm surprised that more hearing people, myself included, don't use sign as a way to communicate when it's hard to hear (like at a loud bar) or when you have to be quiet (like backstage at a performance). More importantly, if there was an expectation that everyone learn sign language, hard of hearing people would be less isolated and there would be fewer deadly misunderstandings with emergency personnel and police like this one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/us/oklahoma-city-police-shooting-deaf.html

Oh man, that's just tragic. :( I don't know that it would ever be taught in schools, at least not public schools. Private schools, maybe.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
SarahSchaffer wrote:

Oh man, that's just tragic. :( I don't know that it would ever be taught in schools, at least not public schools. Private schools, maybe.

I know! Yeah, hard to imagine it becoming a national standard but I feel like it might even help students learn the alphabet to have a physical component to each letter. Haha didn't realize how passionately I felt about this until I responded this prompt. Thanks, sujithprathap!

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

I saw a video today on Vox about Amber Gallego and her ingenious way of interpreting pop music. Then I saw her interpreting Under the Bridge for a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. It was breathtaking and it made me envious. After watching that, I thought, "I should've learned how to sign."

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

I believe sign language could be recommended but not mandatory. But its a good way to teach a toddler a language

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

My sister is a nanny and teaches her children to sign. I also have another sister who is taking sign language in college now. I've always wanted to learn but it's not always available in schools here.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I saw a video today on Vox about Amber Gallego and her ingenious way of interpreting pop music. Then I saw her interpreting Under the Bridge for a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. It was breathtaking and it made me envious. After watching that, I thought, "I should've learned how to sign."

Wow!!! Awesome!!! 

Posted 
    Feedback