My Spanish Log

Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

While I'm not a huge fan of Duolingo, currently, it's the most convenient option for me. I actually started it for my trip to S. America two weeks ago, and since I started it, I figured I might as well finish it. I have ~100 lessons to go before finishing the whole course on Duolingo. This is going to take a while, a long while. I shall post screenshots of my progress from time-to-time. Hopefully someone bugs me if I don't progress:

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I have started it soooo many times, staying in it regularly is too integral, they want you to keep vocab refreshed which is grstbutfor someone who my use it often progress is so slow. Every time I log on it makes me start so far back again gave it up completely, kudos to you ¡ Y buen suerte!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

GL Mei. What countries are you going to?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Goodlucky Meifeng. You can do it! Success starts from small beginnings.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native

leosmith wrote:

I was in Argentina. Duolingo was somewhat useful - at least useful enough for me to respond when someone asked me, "bebidas?"

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

meifeng wrote:

leosmith wrote:

I was in Argentina. Duolingo was somewhat useful - at least useful enough for me to respond when someone asked me, "bebidas?"

Argentinians have a peculiar accent. You might found some words different from the ones you will learn from Duolingo.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I just found Duolingo too repetitive, like I feel stuck in the same words that I already learned.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native

Ari wrote:
I just found Duolingo too repetitive, like I feel stuck in the same words that I already learned.

I do agree. Spending 51 lessons on the same topic is kinda painful, and there's probably a better way. But as it's not a big priority in my life right now, spending 15 min on Duolingo a day is fairly low effort while making some semblance of progress. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

meifeng wrote:
I do agree. Spending 51 lessons on the same topic is kinda painful, and there's probably a better way. But as it's not a big priority in my life right now, spending 15 min on Duolingo a day is fairly low effort while making some semblance of progress.

As someone who (also) used Duolingo in the past, there is something I'd like to ask you. 

How exactly could one deal with that "remembering which answer Duolingo is looking for" thing?

In case you wouldn't know what I mean (and that is understandable), sometimes there are more correct answers than Duolingo recognizes.

And when one is required to type it (rather than selecting it in a multiple-choice quiz), DL could have the point of view that one's answer is wrong. This used to slow down my learning process one or several time/s. I had to restart the test because of this matter.

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It is very finickity, sorry I don't have a way around it but it was another of my peeves with the site too. 

Edited 
Native

SGP wrote:
meifeng wrote:

As someone who (also) used Duolingo in the past, there is something I'd like to ask you.
How exactly could one deal with that "remembering which answer Duolingo is looking for" thing?
In case you wouldn't know what I mean (and that is understandable), sometimes there are more correct answers than Duolingo recognizes.
And when one is required to type it (rather than selecting it in a multiple-choice quiz), DL could have the point of view that one's answer is wrong. This used to slow down my learning process one or several time/s. I had to restart the test because of this matter.

Hmm, I haven't run up against that problem for languages that I've learned exclusively with DL, mostly because I wouldn't know other options. 

I think I vaguely know what you mean. I briefly tried using their Vietnamese language one just to see how good it is, and there were definitely questions with multiple answers, and I was ???. I think I didn't go beyond like the first three lessons for Vietnamese. 

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe there's a skip this question option, or it usually repeats the question later in the sequence. They usually give you the full answer when you get it wrong, so you just need to remember the right answer when you see the question pop up again later. 

Posted 
Native

Sigh, this is embarrassing. Hopefully next month is a bit better. 

Posted 
    Feedback