All users - please give me your input on a new badge system

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Although I really liked the LOR system we had, unfortunately it made someone feel bad, so I think it would be a good idea to design a different system. Here is your big chance - what would you like? In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, here is an example:

0 posts - newbie

1-50 posts - beginner

51-100 posts - regular poster

101-200 posts - active poster

201-500 posts - dedicated learner

501-1000 posts - super learner

1001-2000 posts - world class poster

2000-5000 posts - champion learner

etc

You can suggest something completely different; that was just an example. If we get a few good ones, we may have to decide it with a vote.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

How about these... 

0-50 posts - newbie

51-100 posts - beginner

101-200 posts - intermediate

201-500 posts - regular

501-1000 posts - active

1001-2000 posts - world-class 

2001-5000 posts - universal

5001-or more - expert

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I really like the old system is geeky, unexpected and surprising.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

I also like the old system :(.... should we make a poll? :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Either system would work great. But a poll should do the trick on voting to see what people like the most!

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Yeah, I hate to see the old system go. I'll wait until we have a few more suggestions before putting it to a poll.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

It's a tough one I am not a LOTR fan, and I was initially wondering which was higher than the next etc but I liked that it was creative and fun,, maybe find some more creative ways today good with language , maybe something thatranges from smiler to whispererer, right through to motormouth chatterbox or windbag I don't know just an idea maybe we can find some fun words

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Ari wrote:

I agree with you :)

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I love the old system,it's different and that's what makes it unique. I agree that it should be put to a vote.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I actually like the current system. It's fun and unconventional. It'd be cool if they came with badges or trophies we can display on our profiles though. :) I'd like a little elf on my profile.

To be honest though, I also felt a little bit bad about the Hobbit being the "lowest" level. Hobbits are awesome. :P 

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

To be honest, I also like the current one, though I thought Leo is asking for suggestions for new names. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really find my previous suggestions very stiff and boring....hahah

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

edz.conde wrote:

To be honest, I also like the current one, though I thought Leo is asking for suggestions for new names. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really find my previous suggestions very stiff and boring....hahah

It'd be like collecting the fellowship of the ring :o

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
edz.conde wrote:

It'd be like collecting the fellowship of the ring :o

OMG! A little Legolas trphpy would be aaawesome! And The elf character that Cate Blanchett played!

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Well I tried to come up with different heirarchies by size, like animals, fruit and whatnot.... but I just really like the current system.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Maybe there could be a different solution, other than the current LOTR badge system...

As for me, I personally am not someone who is into fantasy. And frankly, I couldn't even imagine labeling myself as a hobbit/etc. either anywhere in my profile. Leo, I do hope that you do not have any issue with my approach of sometimes speaking rather directly, also because I try as much as I can to still do it in a very polite way. 

It's just that I experienced that in a (rather big) number of situations, indications alone wouldn't "do the trick". This happened both in my personal life and in the lives of others

The badge system didn't prevent myself from registering. The browser window provides enough context to know that this label (hobbit) also could have been written by the forum's software, rather than myself. Still... there is something I would like to tell you, even if it isn't meant as a improvement suggestion, but simply as something that could be of interest in general. About understanding the different personalities, which is something I consider an area of life-long learning for all of us, definitely including me.

(I seldom really and fully suggest anything these days).

You already stated that the current badge system made someone feel bad (in your first post here). 

And I am not denying at all that LOTR is very popular. However, there also a not-so-small amount of persons with a different position. Before continuing, I do like y'all to know that I imposed a Zero Bashing Policy on myself, and this wasn't just yesterday. This means that even in cases of not everyone agreeing with each other, I do not verbally bash anyone or anything .

Unless it is about something really major (especially offline) which would require me to do something different, I really do stick to it like glue, if not more. Not to mention not physically bashing, because that is reserved for pure self defense only (and I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemies to put me in a situation requiring some counter-actions of mine). Back to topic. While the current badge system doesn't prevent me from using the forum (because of the browser context thing mentioned above), it really could prevent, well, a not-so-small amount of others

And they aren't necessarily supposed to tell you either. They could be people who aren't into fantasy, or with a certain religious background, or even fantasy lovers who, nevertheless, don't really like LOTR. There also are several other possible reasons, like not identifying with hobbits in particular even as a metaphor, and ... well, this post already is a bit long-ish anyway.

If I, personally, would run a forum, I would choose a badge system that hopefully (almost) everyone could somehow relate to. The one I would aim for is one entirely based on a certain symbol, which would be a simple tree in my case. A broad-leaved (a.k.a. deciduous) one, to be exact . Something like "1 tree: 0 to 49 posts, 2 trees: 50 to 100, etc.". This system could also have an additional advantage. Some might prefer not being labelled as "expert" or champion learner" because of thoughts like "got to stay humble".

Or maybe a palm tree instead.

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Maybe we can earn berries like in Busuu? I enjoyed getting those things and buying cool stickers and badges with it. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
Maybe we can earn berries like in Busuu? I enjoyed getting those things and buying cool stickers and badges with it. :)

Berries could be somewhat interesting, too.

If Leo theoretically introduced some, I think he would make sure, too, that they do not resemble Busuu's too closely.

I already had been thinking about fruits and vegetables when writing my previous post.

But it also came to my mind that some fruits/vegetables, while having many, many fans, also are unpopular in the eyes of other persons.

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

I personally don't mind the old system - mostly because I finally graduated away from dwarfhood. I thought it was kinda fun.

No real suggestions for a new system. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I had no idea that the level "names" were related to something - and I had to google what LOTR meant. LOL (I should probably just go back to my cage. Haha)

Anyway, I don't have any good suggestions now but I want to say that I also like the "out of the ordinary" label. Will surely vote when there are more options. :)

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ooh, I have no idea how I haven't seen this thread before but...yey I found the "spoilers" for the badges/names :D 

hmm....

Idk if this is a hard thing to do or not... but if we keep the same names

But maybe we can make the badges/names choosable?

For example:

You unlock level "Elf" but..you don't want that name/badge to be shown on your profile and for some reason you liked "Dwarf" better..so you go to settings in your profile and you choose the previous level 

Posted 
    Feedback