American spelling VS. British spelling

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

For several years I worked as a customer service representative to pay for my studies, that was when I realized that I was thought a British spelling at my high school, then I blend it with the American spelling. I didn't knew there was a difference bigger than the difference between both cultures, accents and how they refer to daily objects like flat-apartment and trousers-pants, but it was. I realize this when I was submitting a cancellation for an order and the browser kept telling me "Order canceled!" it made my eyes hurt (don't get me wrong, my eyes also hurt when I see "apologise" and "familiarise"), I was used to "cancelled" instead of "canceled". I freaked out for a second and googled it to see if I was wrong and then I realized that both were correct, the difference is the country they are used in. As I investigated further about this I discovered that there was a spelling reform in the United States held by Noah Webster after the independence of the US from the British (author of "A compendious Dictionary of the English Language"). The whole point was to make English easier to learn and to help the spelling match the pronunciation of the words, but more importantly, it would distinguish the American English from the British English. 

Some of the spellings he proposed were adopted but other were not, in his changes he omitted silent letters like:

- Giv - give. (not adopted)

- Ar - are. (not adopted)

- Ov - of (not adopted)

- Color - colour. (adopted)

- Honor - honour. (adopted)

I also found some words proposed by important US characters that were not adopted:

- Benjamin Franklin - "Alfabet" instead of "Alphabet". (He even suggested replacing the letters c, j, q, w, x and y with two new vowels and four new consonants)

- Theodore Roosevelt - "Kist" instead of "Kissed".

Here is a page that explains very well some of the changes:

https://www.thoughtco.com/noah-websters-english-spelling-reform-1692675

Do you imagine written English, well.... American English like that? 

Edited 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Interesting article. I would love to see a major spelling reform in English, but it will probably never happen.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Wow how interesting!!!!!

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

This is great and interesting! It is much easier to spell in that way. What you hear is what you spell. But it's difficult to be implemented because of its domino effects. Like for example, all English books will need to be recalled. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Beyond American spelling vs English spelling, there is also quite a difference in terms for same items used. I guess if a language as widely-used as English, there is bound to be regional variations. Bored Panda has a small summary here: https://www.boredpanda.com/british-american-english-differences-language

I went through the UK English system in Singapore, and one of the funny ones I learned after moving to the US was #8 - rubber. In UK English, if you ask if you can borrow someone's rubber, you're asking for that thing that erases pencil markings. But in the US, "rubber" is colloquial for condoms. 

You are really asking for something quite different. 

Posted 
    Feedback