What motivates people when choosing a new language

Posts0Likes0Joined9/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Learning Spanish

Am still stuck. I have lots of languages I want to learn. Spanish, French, Chinese, korean and Germany are the main ones. Yet it still remains so hard to make a choice on which to select. Am not sure, but would really want to know, what motivates people to select a certain new language. Is it because they love its accent? Or probably because you wanna make some friends whose that is their native language? Or maybe, you want to learn their culture? Am sure there are many factors that determines the choice, but am also even more sure that there exists that one factor that is the generally at the top of the list.

I love my pets.
Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

In my case, I want to learn Spanish because of its influence in our native language. Also, I'm quit taken by its accent. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I will choose the one you think you might use the most in the future. It can be for leisure or business. Like for us who native language is not English it perfectly make sense to learn English because it is a worldwide used language. Or for someone living in the US it would make sense to learn Spanish because there is a large group of people that communicates in that language, so if you speak both English and Spanish you might have more qualifications to get a job. 

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

In my experience, liking a language usually starts with another hobby altogether (like anime, foreign music, movies) and it then slowly shifts to having interest to the language itself. 

While reasons like "the language sounds cool" is a a good start learning a language, I think having a deeper reason such as moving to another country is the key to sticking with studying the language at a deeper level. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Native speakers attract/motivate me.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback