Is there variance in the pronunciation of French natives?

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

During my study, I noticed that people pronounce words differently. For example, one person's way of saying 'bonjour' will sound just a little bit different when someone else says it so it's kind of confusing for me. How do I find the correct way to pronounce words?

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Do you mean it like a regional thing or you mean it as the way you think it should sound vs the way it actually sounds?

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

for someone learning,how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Oh, that's a good question. I don't know french, but maybe those words have different meanings? or it could be something regional :/.... This is a good question for Leo, maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Le voilà!

Oghenekevwe wrote:
for someone learning, how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Yes, there is variation but there is no need to be concerned. I suggest you choose one than you like and model your pronunciation after that. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Yes, people often refer to French and Parisian french, so they sound different enough but don't get preoccupied over correct pronunciation focus on comprehension to progress

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Oh, that's a good question. I don't know french, but maybe those words have different meanings? or it could be something regional :/.... This is a good question for Leo, maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

The Leo part got me laughing! Thanks for summoning him:grinning:

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

leosmith wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

maybe if we say "Leo" 3 times he'll appear :o

Le voilà!

Oghenekevwe wrote:

for someone learning, how do you identify the correct pronunciation of a word? i'm currently using memrise to learn some vocabularies and i noticed different pronunciation of same words.

Yes, there is variation but there is no need to be concerned. I suggest you choose one than you like and model your pronunciation after that.

Thank you so much Leo,I was a bit confused before.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Yes, people often refer to French and Parisian french, so they sound different enough but don't get preoccupied over correct pronunciation focus on comprehension to progress

Definitely, someone told me the exact same thing yesterday. Thank you

Kevwe A.

Posted 
    Feedback