Good sleep, good learning, good life

Is trying to learn while you sleep beneficial in the long run?

16.7%

66.7%

16.7%

This poll will run forever.

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Good sleep, good learning, good life is an article written by Dr Piotr Wozniak, the principal author of SuperMemo, which is the first SRS. The article describes the benefits of getting a good night's sleep has on learning. He talks about an interesting concept called free running sleep, napping and argues against sleep learning. It's a long read, but very helpful to serious learners of any kind.

I was wondering if any forum members have tried to learn in their sleep, and if so, was it beneficial? 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I am of the school of thought that says; when you've been studying for a long time, take a break and catch some sleep. You'll wake up feeling refreshed and you'll find out that what you studied before resting comes easy to memory and you have space for more. 

The brain, like every other part of our body needs sufficient rest for it to function at it's best.

Learning in my sleep, never tried that. However I've discovered that resting my head after a long study session makes it easy for me to remember.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Hmm... interesting article.

I guess there's some truth to it. My mother always told me that sleep is important about learning stuff cause I always liked to pull all nighters haha :D 

I think it's not a thing that you should force it, but that the brain works on it's own while you sleep so I guess sleeping 8+ hours a night surely helps in a way we don't even realize 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

dragonsky wrote:
I guess sleeping 8+ hours a night surely helps in a way we don't even realize

I do best between 7 and 8. Maybe it depends on the person.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

I've read that sleeping at 10:00 pm to 3:00 am is the best time to sleep in order to rejuvenate body cells. Well, the hours of sleep depends on which age range you belong. For people with old age, a good 4-6 hours of sleep is enough.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Boy, is that a long (but interesting) article. I'm only 10% through it. 

I think people tend to undervalue sleep, and overvalue ineffective workaholism. Sleep is not wasted time, because it really resets our bodies. 

I always retort to people who tell me, "I can sleep when I die" with "Be prepared to die sooner than you expect then."

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
Boy, is that a long (but interesting) article. I'm only 10% through it.
I think people tend to undervalue sleep, and overvalue ineffective workaholism. Sleep is not wasted time, because it really resets our bodies.
I always retort to people who tell me, "I can sleep when I die" with "Be prepared to die sooner than you expect then."

Ha! I love that response :D 

And I agree 100% with what you said.

Sleeping is really helpful with rebooting the entire body/brain... I had times where I felt terrible...had a quick nap of an hour or two and woke up feeling better

It's like a human refresh :D 

Posted 
    Feedback