Accent

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

Do you believe it's possible to completely lose your mother tongue accent when speaking a foreign language? How much does it interfere in communication? Do you consider a person speaking with accent less skilled?

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I think it's impossible for an adult learner, although I've seen some people get very close. Good pronunciation is very important, but a mild accent won't hinder communication.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

It's really, really unlikely that someone who started learning a language after their teens will be able to lose their foreign accent completely without complete immersion (basically, living in a country where you only use that language in your daily life), and for a lot of learners it's really hard.

I've been told by my teachers that being able to get a close-to-native accent is similar to having a good musical ear - you hear something, and you can replicate it quite closely. It's not that closely related to language learning talents.

And yeah, some accents are easier to understand for me than others, but with clear pronunciation any accent is fine I think.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
    Feedback