Novels for learning a new language

Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Hello! 

I was just wondering if people here happen to read books (like novels) to learn a foreign language. I used to read a short series of german stories that were A2 and helped me to get back on track after not practicing the language for a couple of years. These were intended for learners --I find it hard to find actual novels that are convenient for someone who is not yet fluent. My best bet so far are children's books, so I am probably going to try Harry Potter.

Do you have any stories that got you learning while having fun? Were they intended for learners, or for the general public?

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

I love reading comics to improve my language skills. I grew up on Donald Duck comics and imagine my excitement when I discovered that they're wildly popular in more or less every country in Europe, and especially in Denmark :D

Aside from those, I think the first few Harry Potter novels for example are a great choice, as the writing is beautiful but fairly simple. I also loved reading The Chronicles of Narnia in Russian (only the third book). It's not a very difficult book series, but it's really fun and also just lovely to read. In general, children's books are usually a great tool, especially ones you've read before and liked, since it'll be even easier to follow if you know the story already.

By the way, when it comes to German, my best friend (a German learner for over a decade and now a proficient speaker) swears by Kafka as the best (native German) author to read if you're learning. His writing is apparently straightforward and easy to follow, and quite interesting as well. I've only read "The Process" in Serbian, so I can't really confirm if that's 100% true haha.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/11/2019LocationDouala / CM
Native
French
Other English

Hi people

When you want to learn a langage your best bet is to use as authentic materials as possible. So you want to read what a native speaker is reading. Now what is important is to ENJOY what you are going to read. OK

So it is not the langage level of the book that is important but rather if you like the content.

I read comics i french so i cannot see why i would not read these in English, Spanish etc

It is the passion that you have for what you are doing that will get you to make fast progress

Do you understand ?

Be well

Serge

serge

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:
Aside from those, I think the first few Harry Potter novels for example are a great choice, as the writing is beautiful but fairly simple. I also loved reading The Chronicles of Narnia in Russian (only the third book). It's not a very difficult book series, but it's really fun and also just lovely to read. In general, children's books are usually a great tool, especially ones you've read before and liked, since it'll be even easier to follow if you know the story already.

Those two series happen to be the ones that got me into reading when I was a kid! I read all Harry Potter and Narnia in about 4 years. I already suspected they were a good match for this kind of thing, but now that it is confirmed, I will definitely be ordering a couple of volumes of Amazon. 

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:
By the way, when it comes to German, my best friend (a German learner for over a decade and now a proficient speaker) swears by Kafka as the best (native German) author to read if you're learning. His writing is apparently straightforward and easy to follow, and quite interesting as well. I've only read "The Process" in Serbian, so I can't really confirm if that's 100% true haha.

And this is beyond helpful. Children's stories are good, but nothing like adult material that is intelligible, and even better, written by a native speaker. And I have also read Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" before in Spanish. I can't remember much but that he is a very good author. I will definitely look into it. Thanks a lot!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

You're very welcome, hope you enjoy your reading! :)

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
    Feedback