Studying the mother tongue

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

In Brazil we study Portuguese as a school subject learning grammar (which makes kids hate it). Once I was told it's not like this in English speaking countries, but I've never understood how it happens. I'm curious! What about other countries?

Posted 
Posts1629Likes1090Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I don't remember studying English grammar, but I'm sure I did. I do remember writing lots of essays, book reports and stories though. And some teachers were really picky about grammar at that point.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/10/2020LocationES
Native
Galician, Spanish
Learning English, Korean

I know it's not an English speaking country, but in Spain we have a subject that combines literature and grammar. And yeah, most people hate it because you have to analize the type of sentence and its components: the type of word (verb, noun...) and its use inside the sentence (complemento directo, complemento indirecto... I don't know their names in English xd). Some sentences are easier to analize than others.

Just messy.

Posted 
Posts1629Likes1090Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

PiAlfa wrote:
I don't know their names in English xd)

Lol - that makes two of us.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

PiAlfa wrote:
I know it's not an English speaking country, but in Spain we have a subject that combines literature and grammar. And yeah, most people hate it because you have to analize the type of sentence and its components: the type of word (verb, noun...) and its use inside the sentence (complemento directo, complemento indirecto... I don't know their names in English xd). Some sentences are easier to analize than others.
Just like the way we study Portuguese in Brazil.

Posted 
Posts38Likes31Joined28/1/2021LocationCO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, Portuguese

In Colombia we study Spanish grammar in schools too. Actually I guess it is important. May be we know how to "write", i mean the alphabet. But we can't write an essay or something like that. Our literacy is not that good. We are trying to improve that with education (also, I don't know how to write in English hehehe).

I hope you have a nice day! Native: Spanish 🌺 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

In the Philippines, we also study English grammar from pre-school, I think. When we move to higher grades, we have a combination of lit and grammar. I didn't like it to be honest. Analyzing the grammar rules of stories and poems just seem to ruin it. But I guess, it somehow works since we can write essays. 

Faye

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

HolaIsabel wrote:
In Colombia we study Spanish grammar in schools too. Actually I guess it is important. May be we know how to "write", i mean the alphabet. But we can't write an essay or something like that. Our literacy is not that good. We are trying to improve that with education (also, I don't know how to write in English hehehe).

One of the things I remember doing is when we have to translate short essays in our native language to English so we can improve writing. Maybe you can try that? :)

Faye

Edited 
Posts38Likes31Joined28/1/2021LocationCO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, Portuguese

oh, thank you for the suggestion :) I'll try some day :)

I hope you have a nice day! Native: Spanish 🌺 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationLT
Native
Lithuanian
Learning English

In Lithuania, we learn Lithuanian grammar and literature. 

Posted 
    Feedback