Stages of Second Language Acquisition

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Among these 5 stages of second language acquisition, what stage are you now in the language that you are currently learning? Way to go for me because I'm still in the pioneering stage. Whew! Ajah! :blush:

https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/five-stages-of-second-language-acquisition/

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Wow, you can make it Edz! Goodluck! I'm in the 0 step, lol, because I'm not learning another language yet. But I'm considering French soon.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I'm still at stage one. Learning new words everyday, practicing pronouncing them, laughing at how i sound 100% of the time. I'm definitely not where i was when i started, so i know I'm making progress. 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

still at stage 1. i just kept repeating the words I have learned. I havent tried to search for new words to learn this past few days coz im so busy. :joy:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Oh wow. It seems like we're all on the same boat. The journey for us is still long. Good luck to everyone of us! :blush:

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

1 ,:grinning: we should start a 1club:first_place_medal::first_place_medal::first_place_medal:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

edz.conde wrote:
Among these 5 stages of second language acquisition, what stage are you now in the language that you are currently learning? Way to go for me because I'm still in the pioneering stage. Whew! Ajah! :blush:
https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/five-stages-of-second-language-acquisition/

For the C2 languages, it would be the fifth stage.

For all others, I wouldn't always restrict myself to any particular one of these five.

This is because sometimes there is a bit more motion than usually, or I also would sometimes queue a language which means pressing the pause button. Learning them in rotation anyway.

The approach currently being used (by SGP ) is "On Demand Learning". So whatever currently captures more of the interest in the personal life, more time is being spend on it.

Any of those below-C2 linguae could be strengthened, get a bit rusty, or could be re-activated some more.

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/12/2018Location

I'm at stage 3 for Korean. Am working on my vocabulary at the moment so might reach stage 4 next year and stay there for a long time ;)

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I'm an advocate of a single universal scale for language proficiency, and the one that's best known is the CEFR, so my tendency is to try to equate these 5 levels to the CEFR. Here is my attempt:

1. Silent/receptive A0/A1

2. Early production A1/A2

3. Speech emergence A2/B1

4. Intermediate fluency - B1/B2

5. Continued language development/advanced fluency - B2/C1/C2

That being said, the OP scale is supposed to be for acquisition and not proficiency, so it doesn't have to map with a proficiency scale like the CEFR. If it's truly an acquisitions scale, they are saying one progresses through these stages regardless of learning method. But this particular scale is heavily influenced by learning method imo. For example, some people don't have any silent period at all. So that throws the scale out the window; you may follow it, you may not. I've heard the theory that we all follow roughly the same path for language acquisition before, and I'm intrigued by it, but the OP scale seems to mix learning methods and acquisition levels. It's actually pretty confusing to me. I'd like to see a scale, backed up by studies, that nails down the levels of acquisition without ever mentioning learning methods. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

SGP wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

For the C2 languages, it would be the fifth stage.

For all others, I wouldn't always restrict myself to any particular one of these five.

This is because sometimes there is a bit more motion than usually, or I also would sometimes queue a language which means pressing the pause button. Learning them in rotation anyway.

The approach currently being used (by SGP :wink:) is "On Demand Learning". So whatever currently captures more of the interest in the personal life, more time is being spend on it.

Any of those below-C2 linguae could be strengthened, get a bit rusty, or could be re-activated some more.

It's a good thing that you're not a member of the 1club... :grin:...we might as well learn from you some personal techniques you used in your language learning journey.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona

edz.conde wrote:
It's a good thing that you're not a member of the 1club... :grin:...we might as well learn from you some personal techniques you used in your language learning journey.

Yes, maybe there could be a few clues. However, I don't think of it as an one-way road. There definitely still is room for improvements of "my own" learning techniques. Why "my own" with quotation marks? Because many of those I had been using or am still using today are based on what I learned from various other persons anyway. 

Do you think that this thread would be a very good place to discuss them? Or would there be another thread which is even more suitable?

Edited 
Native
English

I think a key ingredient to language acquisition is learning how you learn best. 

Posted 
Native
German

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I think a key ingredient to language acquisition is learning how you learn best.

Agreed.

And that's why trying several things can be useful.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

SGP wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Do you think that this thread would be a very good place to discuss them? Or would there be another thread which is even more suitable?

I mean not necessarily here in this thread but here and there in the numerous discussions we have in this site. I think "inputs or ideas" is more appropriate than "techniques" then. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Step 6 - Having your thoughts in the foreign language :D 

Posted 
Native
German

dragonsky wrote:

I think "inputs or ideas" is more appropriate than "techniques" then.

Why not techniques?

dragonsky wrote:

Step 6 - Having your thoughts in the foreign language :D

Very important one. Although it doesn't have to be the sixth in a chronological order. It can be combined with something else. Gradual shift.

Posted 
Native
English

Planning your day and writing shopping lists in your target language is a good integration, gets you thinking in the language and can be done from begginer levels. On a side note my kids now sleep talk in their second language it took about 10 months but my daughter who speaks a lot in her sleep now yells at her brother in Spanish whilst she dreams. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

"Inputs or ideas" is more appropriate because it's a "here and there" discussion. Techniques might be off if we're just discussing certains things that not do not necessarily ask or imply for that.

Edzky-18

Posted 
    Feedback