Past Perfect

Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

I was told by a native speaker that Past Perfect is not used in everyday life conversations. Is it so?

For example: "I went to Europe last year, but I had been there before". This person told me a native would prefer to say "I went to Europe last year, but I was there before". 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Of those two sentences, I prefer the first one, but I'd change "I had" to "I'd" in colloquial speech. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

I would say, grammatically, "I went to Europe last year, but I had been there before" this is the right one. However, when you don't need a perfect grammar, you can always use like "I went to Europe last year, but I was there before." They are both meaning same and this one's used more often :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian
I was told by a native speaker that Past Perfect is not used in everyday life conversations. Is it so?

Honestly, from my experience with native speakers, it really depends on the speaker themself. Some use it very often and some don't, but it definitely doesn't sound weird when they do. My British and Australian friends use it all the time, the one American guy I know doesn't use it as much. That's probably the reason why I read the first sentence in a British accent and the second in an American one haha.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationRizal / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Russian

Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:
Honestly, from my experience with native speakers, it really depends on the speaker themself. Some use it very often and some don't, but it definitely doesn't sound weird when they do. My British and Australian friends use it all the time, the one American guy I know doesn't use it as much. That's probably the reason why I read the first sentence in a British accent and the second in an American one haha.

Ha ha it's good that you have lots of other friends sharing the same language but different accents and usage. You get to have a different perspective on how they use some of the sentences. As for me, I recall using both versions. Not sure how I come up with different usage though.

"Не волнуйтесь"

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

jpormento wrote:
Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:

Ha ha it's good that you have lots of other friends sharing the same language but different accents and usage. You get to have a different perspective on how they use some of the sentences. As for me, I recall using both versions. Not sure how I come up with different usage though.

Haha, yeah, that's the perks of meeting people who play the same video games in my travels. I'm sure they caught at least a bit of my Serbian accent as well. :D

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
    Feedback