Do you think proper grammar is important?

Do you think proper grammar is important?

100%

0%

This poll will run forever.

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationOlongapo City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog

I believe that grammar is important. However, even the nating English speakers did not use proper grammar but they can still understand each other.

What is your side in this?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

Proper grammar is important, especially in written English ( documents, speeches, articles, research papers ).

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

GailAnn.Antonio wrote:
What is your side in this?

Why not create a poll?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I think that grammar is inevitable. Like at some point, you will need to know how to conjugate the verb you learned in more persons. Or you will encounter at least basic past and/or future tenses. So I believe it's inevitable in the process. Do you need to go all the way through and take it step by step? Doesn't have to mean you do. I was myself always teaching in a more flexible way, whatever the student needed and from there we move to the grammar of the constructions and ride around that as long as it needs. Because inevitably if you want to construct sentences, grammar is important. Will you be understood without it? Probably. Will you become proficient in the language with less of it? No. 

Native speakers don't bother because it's not making them money, not their job, but a linguist, or whatever kind of writer, or whatever kind of job that includes composing texts, requests high knowledge of the standard language. In the end, that's why there are proofreaders and such, that edit your text because it's deficient in grammar expertise.  

I believe it's inevitable, and to me, it equals mathematics as a science in this field, that's why I like/love it. It activates the logical part of the brain and it's very challenging, depending on the language you're learning of course. 

Thanks! 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

It depends if you are talking with a native or not. If it is with a native, he will understand what you are trying to say but if its a foreign, all the proper grammer can mattter.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

yes, a poll would be interesting

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/9/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Spanish

Grammar is important. However, if one person who struggles with it was able to send the message across, then I think that'll do. Although I don't know how some are able to follow strict grammar rules and others can't. Is it something that is natural or acquired? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

Chill wrote:
Grammar is important. However, if one person who struggles with it was able to send the message across, then I think that'll do. Although I don't know how some are able to follow strict grammar rules and others can't. Is it something that is natural or acquired?

For sure that is something acquired!

Posted 
    Feedback