How has working remote changed your life?

Posts0Likes0Joined7/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

The best decision to date in my life is working from home. I have had the fun of travelling, planning my schedule and deciding how many hours of work i can take.

In so many areas, things have changed for the better. Work anywhere as long as you have internet and laptop. The freedom that comes with it is beyond me.. 

How has it changed your life?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I had more time with my kids. :) When I had a "normal" job, we definitely had more money but I barely knew what they're doing and what they like. These days, I even know what time they got o the bathroom. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

I don't need to face the heavy traffic everyday andI can work while wearing my PJs. :grin:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:

I had more time with my kids. :) When I had a "normal" job, we definitely had more money but I barely knew what they're doing and what they like. These days, I even know what time they got o the bathroom. :)

It's the opposite for me! I earn a lot more working as a freelancer than working as an architect here in my country! (Can you believe that?) and I love that I can hug my pets whenever I can! 

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

I don't need to face the heavy traffic everyday andI can work while wearing my PJs. :grin:

THIS!! I totally agree with you 

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

ikaymoreno wrote:

I am so lucky i got to see my daughter grow since. working from home is good for the kid as well

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

Frederick.Dizon wrote:

This is me everyday :)

Posted 
Native
English, Swahili
Other German

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

It's the opposite for me! I earn a lot more working as a freelancer than working as an architect here in my country! (Can you believe that?) and I love that I can hug my pets whenever I can!

I earn likely four times than my peers working 9-5 jobs.

Freelancing i earn more though unpredictable a times. Some months are really good others a bit low but if you get long term jobs then you are set1 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I can now spend more time with my kids while im earning and I can save more money coz I no longer need to bear the costs of commuting. It is not only often stressful and unpleasant, it also take up time that could otherwise be spent working or doing something else productive. I also dont need to force myself to wear an office attire, now, I can even work wearing only shorts and sleeveless shirt :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

ikaymoreno wrote:

Wow that is crazy!!! 

Your English is amazing. Did you learned in Venezuela or you studied abroad???

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

And the good thing is that more and more companies are creating more opportunities for these kind of jobs in a variety of professions.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

I have more time to read and do things that I love. I love it when I can wake up 10 mins or 5 mins before my shift. 

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

ikaymoreno wrote:

Wow that is crazy!!!

Your English is amazing. Did you learned in Venezuela or you studied abroad???

My grandfather was American (from Illinois) and he came to Venezuela to work with the Creole oil company. I studied English in high school but, it was necessary for me to speak it after he developed Alzheimer. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I can live the alternative lifestyle I want with more freedom. What different types of remote work do you do guys and girls? 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Ooh also I don't have to put on a customer service smile working from home

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

There's so much good stuff that I got from working remotely.

I broadly developed my skillset and awareness, doing things I would have never done before. For example, two years ago I started editing articles for a news portal, and now I know all about the Chicago and Associated Press manuals of style. I now also know a lot more about current events in Russia, Ukraine and their neighbors and enemies than most people I know.

I got to take breaks on a whim, instead of needing to take regular breaks as relief from offfice pressures.

I could putter away on some project and then stop and do some things that you musn't ever do in an office, and then I'd happily go back to working.

I gained an appreciation for structure, clear process and mandatory employee benefits like worker's comp and the thirteenth month pay.

I learned how to cook a little bit.  

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Now that I think about it, you don't have to fight over for coffee! It's always coffee time  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Now that I think about it, you don't have to fight over for coffee! It's always coffee time :heart_eyes:
agree!!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Aileen.Cortes wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Now that I think about it, you don't have to fight over for coffee! It's always coffee time :heart_eyes:
agree!!

Oh gosh, yes! Coffee any darn time I want, though that had a few consequences, once or twice. :P

Then again, you have the most comfortable bathroom in the world, only a few feet away. Or you could work IN the most comfortable bathroom in the world. hahaha.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Aileen.Cortes wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
agree!!

Oh gosh, yes! Coffee any darn time I want, though that had a few consequences, once or twice. :P
Then again, you have the most comfortable bathroom in the world, only a few feet away. Or you could work IN the most comfortable bathroom in the world. hahaha.

YES!!  

Posted 
    Feedback