Translating the untranslatable

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Any comment on this? There is no tagalog (my native) word in there so I could not personally comment on the words listed here. 

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2741

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Excellent article, and I agree with the writer. I don't believe there really are untranslatable words, just unskilled translators or people who have their own little strange definition of "untranslatable".

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

As long as its a language,it can be translated.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

We posted a similar article before with a lot more included, I love looking at words we don't have, they are always still relatable, and often quite surreal, or romantic , emotional concepts. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Maybe not untranslatable, but might just take a lot more words to translate. Some of those words gave me a good laugh, though. 

prozvonit Czech call a cellphone once so the other person will call back on their dime

--> Cheapskate

kyoikumama Japanese mother who relentlessly pushes her children toward academic achievement

--> Tiger mom

jayus Indonesian joke told so poorly that one cannot help laughing

--> Dad joke

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

So you do believe that any term or word can be translated with sufficient precision? And what about some cultural/other phenomena that do not exist in other cultures? What do you think about the notion of linguistic lacoons? 

Posted 
Native

Vladyslava wrote:
So you do believe that any term or word can be translated with sufficient precision? And what about some cultural/other phenomena that do not exist in other cultures? What do you think about the notion of linguistic lacoons?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are linguistic lacoons? 

I'm not a translator by profession, nor did I major in translation studies, but you probably can get close enough for the most part. For things that are culturally unique, that's what an explanatory note is for, explaining the context of the term. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

Lacoons are gaps in the language, i. e. absence of an analogous structure, word, idiom etc.

Okay, so if one doesn't find an exact match in the target language of translation, translation with explanation would we as good as a proper match? 

Posted 
Native

Vladyslava wrote:
Lacoons are gaps in the language, i. e. absence of an analogous structure, word, idiom etc.
Okay, so if one doesn't find an exact match in the target language of translation, translation with explanation would we as good as a proper match?

Did you mean lacune?

Posted 
    Feedback