LanguageCrush website needs Keyboard shortcuts (or does it already have it?)

Posts0Likes0Joined13/12/2020LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Portuguese

I'm trying to use this website and switch over from LingQ but I noticed right away there are no keyboard shortcuts to make marking words Known or Ignored right away, nor a way to go to the next word with the arrow keys. Please add this ability or let me know if it's a feature I don't know how to do yet. Thanks!

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

StewartLikesOPLingo wrote:
I'm trying to use this website and switch over from LingQ but I noticed right away there are no keyboard shortcuts to make marking words Known or Ignored right away, nor a way to go to the next word with the arrow keys. Please add this ability or let me know if it's a feature I don't know how to do yet. Thanks!

Welcome back Stewart. We don't have these features. Can you describe in detail how you would like these to work? Like, which keys would you like for shortcuts, and would you want all four arrow keys to work?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/12/2020LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Portuguese

Thanks very much!

Left and Right arrow keys – move to the previous/next highlighted word

k – mark the word as known

x – "ignore"

s – play the automatically generated text-to-speech audio

On a unknown highlighted word:

Up and Down arrow keys – move up or down in the list of hints and dictionaries

Enter – select first recommended definition 

I'd also suggest that when selecting a definition for a new word, the red unknown highlighted word should turn green to signify you've seen it before and it's now a "Learning" word. 

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Thanks - I forwarded your suggestions to the tech team.

Posted 
Posts38Likes31Joined28/1/2021LocationCO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, Portuguese

Totally agree with Stewart :) very needed

I hope you have a nice day! Native: Spanish 🌺 

Posted 
Posts4Likes1Joined11/7/2023Location
Native
German
Other Serbian

Hello! Did any of this get implemented or are there any plans on doing so? Especially "k" for known would be extremely helpful to me :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Sarah.H wrote:
Hello! Did any of this get implemented or are there any plans on doing so? Especially "k" for known would be extremely helpful to me :)
Hi Sarah. This is still sitting in our inbox - we are running behind, unfortunately. I added your note to the ticket.

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

StewartLikesOPLingo wrote:
Left and Right arrow keys – move to the previous/next highlighted word k – mark the word as known x – "ignore" s – play the automatically generated text-to-speech audio On a unknown highlighted word: Up and Down arrow keys – move up or down in the list of hints and dictionaries Enter – select first recommended definition I'd also suggest that when selecting a definition for a new word, the red unknown highlighted word should turn green to signify you've seen it before and it's now a "Learning" word.

Sarah.H wrote:

HolaIsabel wrote:
Totally agree with Stewart :) very needed

Ok, this is what we have now:

enter: use most popular definition

left, right to move left or right

space replay word definition audio

u → unknown

l → learning

k → known

i → ignore

Does it work for you?

Posted 
Native
German
Other Serbian

@leosmith Omg, I've only seen this now! This is awesome! Now languagecrush is perfectly usable for me :) It would be great if I could see the shortcuts somewhere in the reading tool (maybe on hover?), but they are also very easy to remember. Thanks so much for implementing!!

Posted 
Native
German
Other Serbian

After using this a bit, the only thing missing to me is that the left and right keys jump to the next word that is highlighted (so either unknown or learning words) and skipping every word that is either set to ignore or known. Thanks :) Otherwise this is already very good!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Sarah.H wrote:
After using this a bit, the only thing missing to me is that the left and right keys jump to the next word that is highlighted (so either unknown or learning words) and skipping every word that is either set to ignore or known. Thanks :) Otherwise this is already very good!
Thanks - I forwarded this to the tech team to see if there is anything they can do.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Sarah.H wrote:
Hi Sarah - we couldn't reproduce this. Can you provide a link to a passage it happens on?

Posted 
Native
German
Other Serbian

Hey, I am not sure if I was clear in my request!

I would like to have an additional shortcut - so that the next word selected is either a word that is currently set as "learning" or a word that is "unknown". Otherwise you have to rush through all the known words in which you don't need a translation. So I would like to change the behaviour of the right arrow key, so that it never selects words that are known. Or is this the behaviour that should be already implemented? If yes, it doesn't work like this for me in any passage.

Hope it's clearer now and thanks for looking into it!

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German

Ah ok, I get it now. That is not per design, but I'll update the ticket.

Edited 
    Feedback