What are your language learning goals for 2019?

Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

You want to learn a new language? You want to improve something you already know? You want to travel to another country and test your knowledge with the locals?

Whatever it is...post it here! :)) 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I want to speak more confidently, and move past small talk with my neighbours

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

My personal language learning goals for 2019 are:

- Being able to express myself better in Spanish and French (both spoken and written). Currently I can do some "beyond the basics" conversations, but there still is a lot of room for improvements.

- Learning to speak about basic everyday topics, like food and cooking, in Italian before three months would pass. That pressure-less "deadline" has been drawn because of a challenge after talking to an Italian I know in person.

- Advancing some more with Japanese (currently it is A1).

- Some steps towards Swahili becoming a bigger part of my life, even if it already has a place in it anyway. For those of us who don't know it, it is the language of Hakuna Matata.

- Accent reduction (not thinking at all about trying to fully remove it, nor I consider that even necessary): ES, FR, Swahili, Jamaican Patois, ... .

- Connecting my native language (German) to Dutch some more. I'd really be happy if my personal distance between these two would start to shrink some more. (And this sentence might even prove that I even if I wanted to, I couldn't tell anybody that my mother's tongue would be English instead. ;) )

- Reaching any post-A1 level of Polish, like A2. Currently it is pre-A1.

- Since Russian is the only "Very Major World Language" left that isn't included in my main learning list, I'd also like to have some speaking and reading skills. By the way, not counting Chinese, even if it is a Very Major World Language in another sense of the word (i.e. other than the meaning I intend in this context).

- Reaching the A1 level (at least) of some languages on my micro-learning list.They currently are all pre-A1. Most of them aren't included in my profile's list (at the time I am writing this post). However, every single "other: " language from that list is both pre-A1 right now and definitely included in the micro-learning one.

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
Native
English

You are so much more ambitious thanme :)

Posted 
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
You are so much more ambitious thanme :)

Well... you know, Jade, I'd say that while I really do love language learning, it doesn't play the very same role in the lives of everyone.

There may be some other things you are much more ambitious about than me. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

The only thing i want to do better is be more disciplined and dedicated to learning French. Every other thing is secondary to me.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
German

Oghenekevwe wrote:
The only thing i want to do better is be more disciplined and dedicated to learning French. Every other thing is secondary to me.

Now what is the place of the French language in your life?

-----

There is one not-so-big but nevertheless important goal I forgot to mention.

It is about basic conversational Esperanto.

Any EO speakers in this forum?

Posted 
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Anyone with a goal of reading more books in the language they are learning? I have a friend that actually learned a lot from re-reading books they read before 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

dragonsky wrote:
Anyone with a goal of reading more books in the language they are learning? I have a friend that actually learned a lot from re-reading books they read before

This is a good technic! A great way to learn vocabulary, I wish I had a broader vocabulary to start reading books in my target languages (I'm stuck with small texts) maybe THIS is my learning goal for 2019 :)...

Posted 
Native
English

There are some great double language children's books , we have a few t is a good place to start but they only do major language

Edited 
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
dragonsky wrote:

This is a good technic! A great way to learn vocabulary, I wish I had a broader vocabulary to start reading books in my target languages (I'm stuck with small texts) maybe THIS is my learning goal for 2019 :)...

I found Harry Potter helpful :D 

I think that you should start with elementary level books. Actually not even Harry Potter but books for smaller kids.

I know it sounds sorta degrading but I really think it helps. And if you understand the gist of it (no matter how small the book may be) then the confidence level grows! :D

Posted 
Native
English

dragonsky wrote:

[/quote

I know it sounds sorta degrading but I really think it helps. And if you understand the gist of it (no matter how small the book may be) then the confidence level grows! :D

I totally agree I can just about manage fairy tales is a great stepping stone because they are creative with the language telling a story, but basic enough 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

It's not quite 2019 here yet (I'm in the USA West Coast now), but I shall join in:

1. Vietnamese: work on my colloquial by reading (try to read one daily news article in Vietnamese), and watch a bit of video to improve on my listening. 

2. French: Work on my speaking/listening. Hopefully I will climb out of the A2 purgatory. 

3. Spanish: Just finish the darned Duolingo course.

4. Thai: Work on my reading, specifically, I want to work through Thomas Gething's Thai Basic Reader.

On the note of resolutions, apparently one of the ways of achieving it is by making it public so others hold you accountable. So there, it's now on everyone else to bug me!  

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I hope to have more time in learning Japanese language this 2019. lol

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Still would like to allot more time learning Spanish. Because of my online and offline works plus playtime with kids, my time for learning the language walked on thinner lines at the final month of 2018. Hence my goal this year is to spend more time learning and perhaps will look into more engaging options for learning practices.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
English

Puede practicar conmigo edz

Posted 
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

meifeng wrote:
It's not quite 2019 here yet (I'm in the USA West Coast now), but I shall join in:
1. Vietnamese: work on my colloquial by reading (try to read one daily news article in Vietnamese), and watch a bit of video to improve on my listening.
2. French: Work on my speaking/listening. Hopefully I will climb out of the A2 purgatory.
3. Spanish: Just finish the darned Duolingo course.
4. Thai: Work on my reading, specifically, I want to work through Thomas Gething's Thai Basic Reader.
On the note of resolutions, apparently one of the ways of achieving it is by making it public so others hold you accountable. So there, it's now on everyone else to bug me! :grin:

Damn, you are learning/"upgrading" your knowledge on 4 languages at once? That's impressive!

How is that going for you? 

Posted 
Native

dragonsky wrote:
Damn, you are learning/"upgrading" your knowledge on 4 languages at once? That's impressive!
How is that going for you?

My achievements generally don't catch up to my (big) dreams.  

For instance, I didn't make any language-learning related goals for 2018, and I wanna say, my only achievement is reading about 40 pages of French (it's a primer version of Les Miserables), and I started rudimentary Spanish and learned some Cyrillic to survive my travels to South America and Central Asia. 

What are some of your goals for 2019?  

Posted 
Native

dragonsky wrote:

I enjoy doing that. I usually do parallel texts, or read books I'm familiar with. For instance, I'm trying to work through Les Miserables in French (kiddy version - not in its full glory). I also love Alexander Dumas, and have a French-learner version, so hopefully I'll get to that as well. 

I think being able to read favorite books in their original texts is one of the things that motivates me to learn new languages. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

meifeng wrote:
I think being able to read favorite books in their original texts is one of the things that motivates me to learn new languages.

So does Alexander Arguelles, an inspiration to many of us.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback