5 most dangerous mistakes in English

Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Very helpful for those learning English language to avoid the most dangerous mistakes...

(edited - please use youtube button when posting youtube videos)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I do the "that/who" mistake, every human being is a thing to me :(... I will correct it, I wasn't aware of it. Thank you!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Learning English

its/ it is, I thought they were the same lol. Very helpful video!

-Ari-

Posted 

no they are not. Thanks :)

Posted 

lolz be careful you use them next time :)

Posted 

i and me was most confusing for me before :)

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

imran.khalil0000 wrote:

lolz be careful you use them next time :)

I will! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other French, Spanish

I see a lot of there vs their, than vs then

Aleks

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

One of the biggest mistakes people do is the use of (or actually, lack of use) Whom/Whomever. 

At this point so many people fail to use these words that it sounds as a mistake whenever someone uses the correct form.

"Should've vs Should of" is another one that too many people seem to have problems with even though it's too simple in my opinion. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I have a bit of a pet peeve. I wish these video-makers would choose between typing mistakes and speaking mistakes. This video is about 2 spoken mistakes and 3 typing mistakes. Why mix them? It seems strange. I'd actually prefer to see more videos on spoken mistakes only, since conversation is the skill that most language learners rank as number 1. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

One common mistake that I hear that bothers me is the use of "until now" to mean something that continues in the present. For example, if I used to dance as a kid, and I love to dance now, I shouldn't say, "I love to dance until now." That would suggest I no longer love to dance. Instead I can say, "I love to dance, even now."

Posted 

yes you are very right 

Posted 

You are right but one can speak flawless when well aware of the syntax of a certain language. And yes spoken is usually overlooked and the result is people are not good speakers.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

I do the "that/who" mistake, every human being is a thing to me :(... I will correct it, I wasn't aware of it. Thank you!

I treated myself like a thing the other day, I'm not proud of myself *sigh*. I realized that sometimes I make written mistakes in English based on how the word sounds in Spanish, even if I know the word my brain play tricks on me -.-... 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined22/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

I also think the two mistakes below occur very frequently. I got them from this link: https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/common-mistakes-in-english/

1. Literally or Figuratively

Example Mistake: I’m literally melting because it’s so hot. / Figuratively speaking, it’s 100 degrees out here.

Tip: This is a mistake because “literally” means “actually” or “really,” and “figuratively” means not real. “Figuratively” is used to exaggerate, or enlarge the meaning of something.

Correction: Figuratively speaking, I’m melting because it’s so hot. / It’s literally 100 degrees out here.

2.Loan or Borrow

Example Mistake: Can you borrow me that book? You can loan me my notes.

Tip: The listener may be confused since “loan” means “to give” and “borrow” means “to take.” It’s simple memorization that’s required to get the correct meaning.

For example, “borrow me that book” means “take me that book” in the above example. Where do you want the listener to take the book? That isn’t what you meant to say!

Instead, you would like to use the book, so you want someone to give it to you.

Correction: Can you loan me that book? You can borrow my notes.

If I was to choose being an animal, I will like to be an Eagle.

Posted 
    Feedback