Poll - Which skill is most important to you?

Which of the 4 pillars of language learning is the most important to you?

8.3%

58.3%

8.3%

25%

This poll will run forever.

Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

There are 4 pillars of language learning (I got that from Bex, and I'd like to keep it). Conversation, listening, reading and writing. Which one is the most important to you? Which one do you most want to get good at? I want to get good at all 4, but conversation is the most important to me by far.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

leosmith wrote:
There are 4 pillars of language learning (I got that from Bex, and I'd like to keep it). Conversation, listening, reading and writing. Which one is the most important to you? Which one do you most want to get good at? I want to get good at all 4, but conversation is the most important to me by far.

For me is listening, once I understand what I'm into I fill confident to proceed and engage into a conversation.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

For sure talking. Because talking suggests that you can understand what they are saying. So most of the times is better to talk than write.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

JoaoGrilo wrote:
For sure talking.

please vote

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/9/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Other Japanese, Spanish

leosmith wrote:

I chose conversation. It already covers listening and talking. To be able to keep up a conversation is something not everyone is good at. I want to be good in his area.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined7/8/2018LocationES
Native
English
Learning Spanish

leosmith wrote:

There are 4 pillars of language learning (I got that from Bex, and I'd like to keep it).

:)

Listening is the most important to me, a conversation will soon end if I can't understand what they are saying. 

A simple "yes" or "no" is sometimes enough to keep the conversation going but if I don't understand then I cannot reply, even in a simple or limited way.

So definitely listening for me.

Learning Spanish very slowly :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I'd say conversation is as important as the person you are conversating with.

If the other person is not on same page with you as a tutor/friend/person trying to help you learn the language then the conversation won't be as helpful as the other things mentioned in the poll. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other French, Spanish

I chose conversation but then realized it should be listening (add to it, comprehension). I have experienced talking to non english speakers, they can still converse using a few words and body languages, it's really up to you how to understand it..

Aleks

Posted 
    Feedback