What traditions do you have during the Christmas season in your country?

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Philippines is known for having the world’s longest Christmas season lol, that is because, the four months that ends with the syllable "ber" are considered Christmas months! Being mostly Catholics, Filipinos start a novena (a series of nine masses) on December 16th. The masses are part of the cherished religious tradition of what we called "Simbang Gabi" which literally means “Night Worship.” Its an accomplishment to attend all nine masses! We also have "Monito Monita" or "Kris Kringle" (exchanging gifts). But what every Filipino looks forward to is the Noche Buena, the family dinner after the midnight mass. :) What traditions do you have during the Christmas season in your country? Do you actually celebrate Christmas?

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

We celebrate a spanglish Xmas, my children do regular Xmas on Dec 25 and Noche Buena, we do Los tres Reyes and Spanish Xmas in January

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

In Ukraine (like in many other Eastern-European countries where Orthodox Church is common) we celebrate Christmas on 6/7th of January. In fact, it is rather celebrated by people who attend Church on a regular basis and generally believe in God. However, many people would greet one another with 'Merry Christmas' or more traditionally - 'Jesus Christ is born', and the answer would be 'May he be blessed' (not exact translation, admittedly). 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Most common one is to put round fruits in the table to attract financial abundance. My sister used to do it but not me though.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

My family's not big on celebrations -- we rarely even celebrate birthdays. We go all out during Christmas though. It's...a season of giving for us so we all go overboard with the gifts :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

There's no one way to celebrate Christmas here. We go to church on the 25th, put on nice clothes and there's usually food in abundance. Fried rice and chicken with salad is usually main dish of the day. We also visit friends and family too.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Charlyn wrote:

Most common one is to put round fruits in the table to attract financial abundance. My sister used to do it but not me though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I thought this is for new year because we usually do that before New Year's eve. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

In my country we gather the 24 to wait until midnight and then we have a big dinner and exchange gifts. There is a lot of music and parties. I remember one of my favorites traditions growing up were Las Posadas, where kids will dress as shepards and there will be a representation of Mary and Joseph. And they will go from house to house singing and asking for a place to stay just like the story of the Nativity.  

In the month of December everything is more joyful, full of lights, decorations, music and more importantly the union of the families.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

We celebrate a spanglish Xmas, my children do regular Xmas on Dec 25 and Noche Buena, we do Los tres Reyes and Spanish Xmas in January

what is Los Tres Reyes?

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Vladyslava wrote:

In Ukraine (like in many other Eastern-European countries where Orthodox Church is common) we celebrate Christmas on 6/7th of January. In fact, it is rather celebrated by people who attend Church on a regular basis and generally believe in God. However, many people would greet one another with 'Merry Christmas' or more traditionally - 'Jesus Christ is born', and the answer would be 'May he be blessed' (not exact translation, admittedly).

Do you celebrate new year in your country?

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Charlyn wrote:

Most common one is to put round fruits in the table to attract financial abundance. My sister used to do it but not me though. :slightly_smiling_face:

yeah, during new year, right? :blush:

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Ari wrote:
In my country we gather the 24 to wait until midnight and then we have a big dinner and exchange gifts. There is a lot of music and parties. I remember one of my favorites traditions growing up were Las Posadas, where kids will dress as shepards and there will be a representation of Mary and Joseph. And they will go from house to house singing and asking for a place to stay just like the story of the Nativity.
In the month of December everything is more joyful, full of lights, decorations, music and more importantly the union of the families.

oh, seems like noche buena..

Posted 
Native
English

Los tres Reyes is the night the three kings (wise men mago magos etc ) come to visit the children they throw sweets in the streets as they parade around for the nightcabalgata then go to the church to give outgifts tieachchild in the village. Every town has a cabalgata celebration here is a video for Madrid ,my town only has 509 people do ours is smaller but the kids love it https://youtu.be/CNtONuVe-Hs

I can't embed maybe Leo can edit for me ? 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

My mom used to do the round fruits thing too. I think you have to have lie 12 different round fruits, right? She stopped eventually because the fruits always end up uneaten. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:
My mom used to do the round fruits thing too. I think you have to have lie 12 different round fruits, right? She stopped eventually because the fruits always end up uneaten. :P

I think it needs to be 13 fruits.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

I think that we latinos have a lot of things in common xD.... 

In my country there are two options:

- People go to 11-12AM mass to celebrate the birth of baby Jesus.

- People party and drink and wait till 12AM to hug everyone, have dinner and give presents. Then they keep partying.

We eat hallacas (like mexican tamales with european and african heritage), pan de jamon (ham bread - with olives and raisins), pernil (pork) and ensalada de gallina (hen salad with potatoes)

On new years eve we have a tradition, we wait till 12AM and we eat 12 grapes and each one represents a wish :)

Posted 
Native
English

We do 12 grapesat midnight for new year too

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Ari wrote:

- People party and drink and wait till 12AM to hug everyone, have dinner and give presents. Then they keep partying.
We eat hallacas (like mexican tamales with european and african heritage), pan de jamon (ham bread - with olives and raisins), pernil (pork) and ensalada de gallina (hen salad with potatoes)
On new years eve we have a tradition, we wait till 12AM and we eat 12 grapes and each one represents a wish :)

Why grapes? Is there a reason behind?

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Michelle.Batan wrote:

I have no idea :o

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

My wife makes tacos for Christmas. ^__^ We have a whole big pile of fixings and boxes of hardshells and we just keep going back and making more like a buffet. Awesome sauce.

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Michelle.Batan wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Ari wrote:

The grapes are for good luck. You eat them and save the seeds, and that will be your lucky number.  

There are a lot of traditions for new years. Like wear red or yellow underwear to find love. Go out with suitcases at midnight if you want to travel that year. And there are more that I don't recall at this moment.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Ari wrote:

Yes, very similar. We have Panamanian tamales which look just like hallacas, exactly the same, but instead of harina pan we use real corn.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Ari wrote:

Michelle.Batan wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Ari wrote:

The grapes are for good luck. You eat them and save the seeds, and that will be your lucky number.

There are a lot of traditions for new years. Like wear red or yellow underwear to find love. Go out with suitcases at midnight if you want to travel that year. And there are more that I don't recall at this moment.

First time to hear about wearing red or yellow underwear. I only know bout wearing anything with polka dots and putting coins inside your pockets. We also have this understanding that you should not spend money on the 1st of January so that money will not always be going out of your pocket the while year.  

Edzky-18

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ari wrote:

I didn't knew this "You eat them and save the seeds, and that will be your lucky number"... We also do the other traditions xD

Ari wrote:

Yes, very similar. We have Panamanian tamales which look just like hallacas, exactly the same, but instead of harina pan we use real corn.

With maiz pilado? I tried hallacas with maiz pilado once and are really good.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm.  

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm. :slightly_smiling_face:

how it would bring good luck?:blush:

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
My aunts and grandparents also would make sure to buy grapes for the Noche Buena feast, because they're good luck. Hmm. :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm not sure! They just said it would!

Then again, my grandma said I shouldn't play with my Matchbox cars Christmas gifts. I should just keep them on display in the cabinet or else they would break. So I think her wisdom may have been a bit spotty.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

My family goes to church for 9 mornings (some would hold their mass at midnight) until the 24th. I've never completed attending the mass for 9 days but my parents are really devoted, they complete it every year.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Mine used to do this too. They'd hang a small bundle by the door and let it dry. Then they replace it with fresh ones the next Christmas.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Mine used to do this too. They'd hang a small bundle by the door and let it dry. Then they replace it with fresh ones the next Christmas.

O_O those must have made for some very interesting Christmas raisins.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Michelle.Batan wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

O_O those must have made for some very interesting Christmas raisins.

Hahahaha! We don't eat them! although I really **really** wanted to do so as a kid. It was just there! Hanging. Waiting for me to pluck it.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

My mom and my grand mother used to make between 700 to 1000 cookies every year for christmas @.@.... That's a tradition I've tried to keep, but I had a lower the amout of cookies or I'll go mad hahahaa

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
My mom and my grand mother used to make between 700 to 1000 cookies every year for christmas @.@.... That's a tradition I've tried to keep, but I had a lower the amout of cookies or I'll go mad hahahaa

We just got an oven so I'm gonna try baking this Christmas! I bought 4 kilos of chocolates because I'll be making choco chip cookies and revel bars to be given to friends. :) I've never baked anythign before so I hope it works out.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

We just got an oven so I'm gonna try baking this Christmas! I bought 4 kilos of chocolates because I'll be making choco chip cookies and revel bars to be given to friends. :) I've never baked anythign before so I hope it works out.

YUM! Good luck:)!!! Try a small batch at first and see how it goes! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Well for starters our country is orthodox Christian so we celebrate Christmas on 7th of January. It's mosttly family thing and it's definitely not like the "commercialized" capitalism Christmas that USA has for example haha :D 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

My family members would find it fun having a lechon on the table for Christmas.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Thanks! I saved like 10 different receipes I found online and I'm thinkign how I'm gonna tweak them so I can make it my own. :D

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

ikaymoreno wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Thanks! I saved like 10 different receipes I found online and I'm thinkign how I'm gonna tweak them so I can make it my own. :D

Yes! I love to do that! mostly with cakes  

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Charlyn wrote:
My family members would find it fun having a lechon on the table for Christmas. :smile: :grin:

same here! :)

Posted 
    Feedback