Is auto-correct good or bad for learning languages?

Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

Auto-correct feature on smartphones boosts our language or deteriorates it?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other French, Spanish

I think it is ok but don't rely heavily on it. When we depend too much on technology, our basic brain machinery starts to deteriorate. 

Aleks

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationlahore / PK

i believe the same. thanks

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Aleksys.P wrote:
I think it is ok but don't rely heavily on it. When we depend too much on technology, our basic brain machinery starts to deteriorate.
exactly

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

agree with that.

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I don't think the autocorrect on mobile phones has a big impact on language. Unless I'm mistaken, this usually just corrects your spelling, and that's only if you hit the wrong keys while typing. Those soft keyboards sure are small! Now if it corrected for grammar, the way Microsoft Word does, I'd be duly impressed.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I have mixed feelings with this topic, at first you could say that you can rely a lot on the autocorrect. In my opinion, if you have more than 1 language linked to your autocorrect it can be messy.... My English and Spanish autocorrect are both "Spanglish" now since I always forget to switch -.-... So, I have to be aware of what I'm writing.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined12/7/2018LocationPH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Spanish

There's always pros and cons...

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I don't think the autocorrect on mobile phones has a big impact on language. Unless I'm mistaken, this usually just corrects your spelling, and that's only if you hit the wrong keys while typing. Those soft keyboards sure are small! Now if it corrected for grammar, the way Microsoft Word does, I'd be duly impressed.

Check this out www.grammarly.com I'm not sure how it works, I saw that you can install it as an extension on Chrome so I'm not sure if it appears on every web page you visit or what  

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Well if you take note of the corrections it may actually be beneficial. But yeah, like the others mentioned it really depends on the person using it.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Check this out www.grammarly.com I'm not sure how it works, I saw that you can install it as an extension on Chrome so I'm not sure if it appears on every web page you visit or what :no_mouth:

Oh! Grammarly! I haven't seen that in a while. Maybe I'll install that just for kicks. :)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

From my experience, the autocorect on the smartphone turned out quite useless. But when I try typing some small texts or essays on MS Word, it gives me a hint where I was wrong in terms of orthography, noun case or number etc. I believe, one could check spelling at least :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Grammarly is useful if you are trying to use English, auto correct relies heavily on you most frequently used words

Posted 
    Feedback