Do you prefer ebooks or paperbacks?

Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I've read many new books on Kindle reader, but I tend to like paperbacks more. There's something visceral about having the actual book in your hands and flipping the pages, and sometimes smelling the oldness of the book paper. My wife and I have more than a thousand paperbacks and hardcovers at home.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Paperbacks! I don't like ebooks, I've tried some and I always go back to paper... It is not the same :/... 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

Paparback. I live to highlight!

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Paper, but I admit that these days I mostly read electronic due to convenience. Kindles are great for travel. (OP - you're an Elf!)

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other French, Spanish

The smell of paper, you can't beat that :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

Aleks

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Aleksys.P wrote:
The smell of paper, you can't beat that :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

You can beat that if said paper is over a hundred years old. :D

I own a copy of Maud Howe Elliot's Roma Beata: Letters From The Eternal City. It's an original print from the year 1907 (it must have been before she got married because her name is printed as simply Maud Howe). I'm surprised it doesn't just fall apart in my hands.  

There is a section in there where Maud talks about meeting some artists and writers who are very caught up on world events. It's the sort of get-together that Gertrude Stein would host for her friends, Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Picasso and the like. During that session, Maud talks about seeing the artistic work of the Filipino Luna and how he is in town (in Rome) right then. The artist Luna, she clarifies to her friend, not the General. It was a brief window through time, seeing something from an honest human perspective, rather than dry history.

The experience of holding that piece of history in my hands as I leaf through it is almost... sacred! You could never get that from Kindle.

Posted 
    Feedback