Does watching movies help?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Do you think watching movies of different languages help in learning?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/7/2018LocationSpringbok / ZA
Native
Afrikaans, English
Learning Spanish, Zulu

Yes and No. But I lean strong into "No" knowing what I know now and having watch hundreds of hours of Spanish media. 

I don't have anything against movies, as a matter of fact I love Spanish and Latin American film, but I prefer to watch a series. Why? There is enough time to get used to the actors voices, their vocabulary, the plot, etc. that a movie can't give you. I'd watch a movie strictly for enjoyment and a series for learning, if that makes sense. 

¡Hagámoslo ya!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Jeremi.Kress wrote:

Yes and No. But I lean strong into "No" knowing what I know now and having watch hundreds of hours of Spanish media.

I don't have anything against movies, as a matter of fact I love Spanish and Latin American film, but I prefer to watch a series. Why? There is enough time to get used to the actors voices, their vocabulary, the plot, etc. that a movie can't give you. I'd watch a movie strictly for enjoyment and a series for learning, if that makes sense.

This actually makes sense.. series give more time :ok_hand:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I think you could re-watch movies/series you have already seen in your mother language and try to watch them in your target languages just to see how it goes.

Posted 
Posts1637Likes1093Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Do you think watching movies of different languages help in learning?

Absolutely. They are great for listening practice, once you've reached an intermediate level.

In the Philippines now.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationChicago, Illinois / US
Native
English
Other Indonesian, Spanish

I think movies are great tools. I taught English at a university in Indonesia, and none of the Indonesians I met who were fluent in English had learned in a classroom - they'd picked up the language from American movies and TV shows. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

yes, watching movies helps a lot as you are exposed to a certain accent, vocabulary and also you can pick up cultural nuances and knowledge

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018LocationLisbon / PT
Native
Portuguese
Other English, Spanish

For sure. Even if you understand the language, I always use subtitles because you will learn something new. You can always learn some new accents, vocabulary, etc.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/9/2018Locationmaryland / US
Native
Urdu
Learning Arabic - Gulf

yes i believe so

Mariam Irshad

Posted 
    Feedback