How do you build a language learning routine?

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Hi guys

I am sure you have heard this question many times before but I am going to ask it anyway.

I have a couple of goals I want to hit and I am trying to build a language routine to do at least something every day but I keep getting myself really confused. 

What's your routine like,do you start with alphabet or phrases, or do you try listening first. I've learned a couple of words and phrases but I'm uncertain as to how to progress from here...

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

Well, practicing the alphabet every day is a good thing to do. That way it stays fresh in your mind. Then maybe doing simple phrases everyday for some time and slowly working up to more complicated. Listening could be done in between that or even like while doing things like chores. Just some suggestions. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I start with random words, basic verbs and pronouns :).... I try to learn a verb daily and use it during the day 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Following this post since I am also hoping to build some kind of routine into an already busy schedule lol Great advice so far everyone!

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

I start with random words, basic verbs and pronouns :).... I try to learn a verb daily and use it during the day

Thank you Jess, presently I've learned over 20 phrases in the space of two weeks and they've stuck. You can literally wake me up in the middle of the night, ask me to repeat them and I will.

As for usage, there's no one around me who speaks french but I do anyway :grinning:

To my friends that is,and i always get the funny face. Thanks again!

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

TaylorFabio wrote:

Well, practicing the alphabet every day is a good thing to do. That way it stays fresh in your mind. Then maybe doing simple phrases everyday for some time and slowly working up to more complicated. Listening could be done in between that or even like while doing things like chores. Just some suggestions.

Thank you so much for your reply Taylor,duly noted...

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Thank you Jess, presently I've learned over 20 phrases in the space of two weeks and they've stuck. You can literally wake me up in the middle of the night, ask me to repeat them and I will.
As for usage, there's no one around me who speaks french but I do anyway :grinning:
To my friends that is,and i always get the funny face. Thanks again!

I talk to myself to practice xD

Posted 
Native
English

Oghenekevwe wrote:
TaylorFabio wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply Taylor,duly noted...

you are welcome. I have troubles myself creating a good routine but those things have helped me. Just thought I would share them!

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I feel if you want to built a routine in anything you need a desire or strong will, then discipline to built accountability and persistence so you don't give up when you hit boredom or any trouble. Hang in there they say you need to do something for 21 days for it to become a habit.

-Ari-

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Ari wrote:
I feel if you want to built a routine in anything you need a desire or strong will, then discipline to built accountability and persistence so you don't give up when you hit boredom or any trouble. Hang in there they say you need to do something for 21 days for it to become a habit.

Thanks Ari, discipline and persistence will definitely take you far in pursuit of your passion, desire or goals.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

A friend of mine has this theory, that in order to make something a habit or attain a large goal, one should do a tiny little bit of that activity but every single day. That relates also to language learning. She is trying to read a couple of books in the English language, and in order not to lose motivation, she sets a minimum goal of one page per day. One page seems to be nothing, that's why it is easier to complete this task and tick it on the to-do list. 

However, having read one page, you sort of break through the wall of laziness, and you read further and further. I believe this is a very helpful method to build a language learning routine. 

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Vladyslava wrote:

A friend of mine has this theory, that in order to make something a habit or attain a large goal, one should do a tiny little bit of that activity but every single day. That relates also to language learning. She is trying to read a couple of books in the English language, and in order not to lose motivation, she sets a minimum goal of one page per day. One page seems to be nothing, that's why it is easier to complete this task and tick it on the to-do list.

However, having read one page, you sort of break through the wall of laziness, and you read further and further. I believe this is a very helpful method to build a language learning routine.

Little drops,they say,can make a mighty ocean. Thanks for your input!

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English

Vladyslava wrote:

I have heard that if you do something every day for like 10 days or something it becomes a habit. It usually works so this sounds pretty similar. Then you can add more to it little by little. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

TaylorFabio wrote:
Vladyslava wrote:
I have heard that if you do something every day for like 10 days or something it becomes a habit. It usually works so this sounds pretty similar. Then you can add more to it little by little.

I actually heard that it's 28 days.  

I think doing a little every day (realistic little goals), and turning it into a habit helps. I also believe that setting some goals, and involving others in accountability also helps.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

meifeng wrote:
TaylorFabio wrote:
Vladyslava wrote:

I actually heard that it's 28 days. :grin:
I think doing a little every day (realistic little goals), and turning it into a habit helps. I also believe that setting some goals, and involving others in accountability also helps.

I've heard It's 90 days, now i wonder which is solid.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I thought it was 10,000 hours. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

leosmith wrote:

We are talking about the time it takes forming habits, not mastery... or world domination.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

For me, I would prefer to start with listening first to familiarize with those phrases. Then, I will listen to my favorite songs from time to time. Sounds weird, but it's effective for me.

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Native
English
Other French

meifeng wrote:

leosmith wrote:

We are talking about the time it takes forming habits, not mastery... or world domination.

:grin::grin: Leo is in another dimension Meifeng

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I started with listening to podcasts before then taking basic self-study courses. For listening practice, I used to do it every morning, usually on my way to work but I wasn't able to keep up. Personally, I don't think I'm good at intentionally keeping a routine. lol

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
    Feedback