Using your hobby as a means to learning

Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

So I've been thinking about learning Portuguese for the past months. I have never "officially" started other that listening to random videos on Youtube, but I noticed that I've already learned some slang without really trying by watching Jiujittsu fights online lol.  

I think this is a cool way of learning a language, you get to pursue your other hobbies while slowly building your competency in the language of your choice. Anybody experienced something similar?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

Music is my own solution, I love music and I listen everyday, so I download song in foreign languages, search for the lyrics, sing along and learn. :grin:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationWien / AT
Native
French, German
Other Arabic - Standard, Japanese, Chinese - Cantonese

If you are a big fan of football you could try watching the games in Portuguese. If you like action gun movies there is Tropa de Elite which I think os available for free on YouTube.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Before I started learning Japanese (and before I even had an interest in the language), I learned a few words through watching some anime. 

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Before I started learning Japanese (and before I even had an interest in the language), I learned a few words through watching some anime.

same here! watashi mo! :blush:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Hmm... I like eating. It might explain why I know food items in a lot of languages.  

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I've been watching anime for years but other than basic expressions and honorifics, I know next to nothing. T_T

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

This is a very effective approach to learning other language because it's an ally against language burnout. It will give you the drive to pursue your goal of mastering the language.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Using hobby as a means to learn something is very effective because mostly, one can master first what he/she is learning if it's his/her priority of interest. So, if it's one's priority of interest, then it would not take much time for him/her to learn the said thing.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I agree, if language learning is coupled with your favourite hobby, you have much more motivation to learn more. The same may also count for reading subject-specific magazines, like Cosmopolitan or The Economist (or something related to sports/ science/ cooking etc). This way, it won't be boring to read such articles in a foreign language if a person is very interested in the topic itself. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

i noticed i actually learn some words faster when i hear it in a song. for example "echame la culpa" by luis fonsi and Demi Lovato, Despacito also 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

I love to watch cooking shows and hear music in other languages. After I watched football (soccer) in English I can't stand to watch it in Spanish

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
I love to watch cooking shows and hear music in other languages. After I watched football (soccer) in English I can't stand to watch it in Spanish

I watch baseball. From time to time, I hear the Spanish version. I don't actually know any Spanish, but the Spanish announcers definitely sound a lot more enthusiastic than the English ones!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/11/2018LocationDavao City / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Chinese - Mandarin, German, Japanese, Korean

I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!

Always glad to be of service! Remember that what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve! ^_^

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Totally agree, it is easy to lose interest in learning a language, if you interested it into a hobby it stays within your interests. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

meifeng wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:

I watch baseball. From time to time, I hear the Spanish version. I don't actually know any Spanish, but the Spanish announcers definitely sound a lot more enthusiastic than the English ones!

The sportscaster in English are a lot more imparcial, that's why I like them :)

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

Mei wrote:

I usually get plenty of Japanese words learned from singing Japanese songs and watching Jdrama and animes. ^_^ I sometimes play my ukulele and sing Japanese anime songs with it. YAY!

I’d love you to share some Japanese songs.. i’d love to listen and learn 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined9/7/2018LocationUS
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French

Oghenekevwe wrote:

i noticed i actually learn some words faster when i hear it in a song. for example "echame la culpa" by luis fonsi and Demi Lovato, Despacito also:grin:

Same here when I listen to kpop. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

Oghenekevwe wrote:

i noticed i actually learn some words faster when i hear it in a song. for example "echame la culpa" by luis fonsi and Demi Lovato, Despacito also:grin:

I love that song!! “echame la culpa”, had to learn the lyrics.

Posted 
Native
English
Learning French

I love watching movies too, Indian moviess..alot

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. :nerd_face: Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

I think the 1-2-3 Hero is one of the best OPs. :)

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Music is s great way to learn because the words get stuck in your head. 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

ikaymoreno wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
TemitopeAkinyede wrote:
Mei wrote:

Some of my favorite Japanese songs are the various opening tracks to Naruto Shipuuden. :nerd_face: Quick, sweet and oh-so-heartfelt.

I think the 1-2-3 Hero is one of the best OPs. :)

Hero's Comeback? It does have great things going for it. The gritty styles of three of the vocalists play well together. Also, plus points for being the first OP for the series launch. My absolute favorite of the lot would have to be opening song number 7 (Toumei Datta Sekai).

But Comeback really does stick in your head. Hehehe.  

Posted 
Native
Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

I think so too. :) I once memorized more than half of P.S.Y.'s Angelina (1990) just from listening to it so much.  

Of course my fellow countrymen had to bastardize the song with their own argot and cant. :P

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

I agree with you, but most of the time its just the chorus that is easy to remember. :joy:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
    Feedback