Ubang community where men and women speak different languages

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Ubang community is a place in Cross River, Nigeria where the men and women speak different languages but understand themselves perfectly. Amazing right?

The elders said God descended on one of the mountains in the villages of Okiro and stood on the rock at the peak of the mountain and distributed languages.

Here's a link to the article.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/tower-babel-ubang-criver-community-men-women-speak-different-languages/

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

That's one of the strangest language articles I've ever read. The men and women speak different languages, but they understand each other. In my village, the men and women speak the same language but they don't understand each other.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Wow! Very interesting!  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

leosmith wrote:

That's one of the strangest language articles I've ever read. The men and women speak different languages, but they understand each other. In my village, the men and women speak the same language but they don't understand each other.

:rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

:grin: I know right? Even I marvel at it. I only just found out about this yesterday.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Charlyn wrote:

Wow! Very interesting! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Charilyn.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

In my village, the men and women speak the same language but they don't understand each other.

Very apparent to other communities anywhere. :joy:

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

specially married couples. lol

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

This is very fascinating. Thank you for sharing this. I love learning about other cultures and languages! 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

TaylorFabio wrote:

This is very fascinating. Thank you for sharing this. I love learning about other cultures and languages!

You're welcome Taylor! Me too...

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Ha! This is really fun

So in that place the men can really say "These women literally can not be understood" :D :D 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

leosmith wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Lol

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

dragonsky wrote:

Ha! This is really fun

So in that place the men can really say "These women literally can not be understood" :D :D

Oh my goodness I am laughing so hard:joy:

-Ari-

Edited 
Native
English
Other French

dragonsky wrote:

Ha! This is really fun

Very funny :grin:

But they actually do understand themselves.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Wow - fascinating article! I wonder if there are words that don't exist in both genders. 

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

meifeng wrote:

Wow - fascinating article! I wonder if there are words that don't exist in both genders.

I doubt, because the language they both speak are complete. The only difference is men speak one and women speak another. What fascinates me is, they never mix it or mistakenly speak the other's language.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

This is actually amazing. I served in Cross River and they literally have more than 20 languages if not more in that state. Different villages,different languages.

Posted 
    Feedback