Is there a different between Translation and Interpretation?

Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I read somewhere recently that both actually means the same thing and also read somewhere else that one is oral and one is written. What’s the difference between both?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

For me, translation is the written while the interpretation is the oral one. 

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Shouldn't it be that interpretation is how a person sees/perceives the word and translation is what the word literally means? :D 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I think is the same, like if you are talking about the job itself, but the literal meaning of the words might be different.  

Anyways I have my subtitles turned on all the time on Netflix and seriously their translators are not that good at least the ones translating from Spanish to English maybe they are interpreters :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I think in language learning there is another meaning for interpretation aside from what/how a person perceives a thing or idea. Both interpretation and translation involve changing one language to another, the difference is in the medium used. Translation is for written while interpretation is more of oral. This article offers 5 major differences between the two. 

https://content.lionbridge.com/5-major-differences-interpretation-translation/

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I think there is definitely a difference, especially with language with less words. When my daughter was very young my Egyptian friends text me to wish me a happy new year, and asked how is your daughter. I text back she is very precious to me. But later chuckled to myself because the same sentence can be translated as she is very expensive fir me. So anyone can translate but interpretation is a very subjective thing.i I think the same can be said for Google translate :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::joy::smiley::grin:

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

One of the topics that we sometimes don't give a toss to. I literally got confused when I had this English to Tagalog job where 'interpretation service' and 'translation service' were used. I think interpretation is more on the subjective side of a text while translation is objective.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Charlyn wrote:
For me, translation is the written while the interpretation is the oral one.

Yes, that's how we use the terms in the US. Interpreters are those people who do the speaking for their bosses at UN meetings, for example. Translators are the ones who take Harry Potter and convert it into a hundred other languages.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback