What languages are you learning and why?

Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I can't find a similar topic so I thought I'd start one.

What languages are you learning (or trying to or simply interested) and why?

I'm learning Japanese (in a slow pace) and I had developed my interest when I met some Japanese as my clients in the past. I got so interested in their country and culture and I'm looking forward to visiting Japan soon.

What about you guys?

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationWien / AT
Native
French, German
Other Arabic - Standard, Japanese, Chinese - Cantonese

I am trying to learn Cantonese Chinese because of my passion for Asia. I love the Asian cinema and I am using that as a way for a beginner to learn a language. I am also very interested in Japanese, because I love anime. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018LocationCairo / EG
Native
Arabic - Egyptian
Other English, French, Spanish

I'm learning Spanish because i admire Latin America and would like to go there one day. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Oh, good idea for a topic! Incidentally, if anyone wants to add more detail to their language learning journey, they can create a log here.

For me, in a nutshell:

English (Native)

Spanish (C1) - lived in Ecuador for 2 years as a child

Swahili (B1) - lived in Tanzania for 3 years as a volunteer

Thai (B2) - fell in love with Thailand after visiting there

Japanese (B2) - worked in a company that had Japanese partners

Chinese (B2) - a good friend married a Chinese woman and asked me to come to his wedding in China

French (B2) - the language of my paternal grandma

Russian (B2) - wanted to talk to Russian tourists in Thailand

Korean (B2) - wanted to learn the last of the 3 big east-asian languages

Tagalog (B2) - fell in love with the Philippines after visiting there

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Spanish because I think it's cool. :D I was doing okay with it but I got too busy and now I'm back to square one.

Posted 
Native

Alex.M wrote:

I am trying to learn Cantonese Chinese because of my passion for Asia. I love the Asian cinema and I am using that as a way for a beginner to learn a language. I am also very interested in Japanese, because I love anime.

that's cool!

Posted 
Native

Amr.Elsayed wrote:

I'm learning Spanish because i admire Latin America and would like to go there one day.

Nice! I like listening to Spanish and tried learning it before too, but I didn't push through.

Posted 
Native

leosmith wrote:

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Oh, good idea for a topic! Incidentally, if anyone wants to add more detail to their language learning journey, they can create a log here.

For me, in a nutshell:

English (Native)

Spanish (C1) - lived in Ecuador for 2 years as a child

Swahili (B1) - lived in Tanzania for 3 years as a volunteer

Thai (B2) - fell in love with Thailand after visiting there

Japanese (B2) - worked in a company that had Japanese partners

Chinese (B2) - a good friend married a Chinese woman and asked me to come to his wedding in China

French (B2) - the language of my paternal grandma

Russian (B2) - wanted to talk to Russian tourists in Thailand

Korean (B2) - wanted to learn the last of the 3 big east-asian languages

Tagalog (B2) - fell in love with the Philippines after visiting there

Wow, really impressive! Just curious, how long does it usually take you to learn a new language in a conversational level?

Posted 
Native

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

Spanish because I think it's cool. :D I was doing okay with it but I got too busy and now I'm back to square one.

same with me! I tried before but wasn't really consistent

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018Locationcavite / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English, Spanish, Urdu

Spanish! Because it's interesting in the way of challenging to learn I guess.

nursalyn

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

German - just because it`s so beautiful, and I love it how different the language is in the different regions :D

Polish - because I like the sound of it

Spanish - I would like to be able to chat with people from Spain and Latin America

Dutch - it reminds me of the times I spent in the Netherlands and Belgium (but I am not sure if I will ever be able to practice it with anyone) :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I am learning Spanish because I am a foreigner living in Spain i taught my children a luttle before they started at school but my children are are now surpassing me and I want to keep up. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I was studying French and English at the faculty of philology for interpretation and translation. My mother was shoving French into my psyche for a long time and my aunt, her twin sister, is an English teacher, so they allied and plotted to transform us all into them, so I just chose to release everything I am, conform to her beliefs, and study/do whatever she wants me to, until she releases resistance, understands we all have different path and desires, and quits that. I did like it, but would have never done that as my studies if I was allowed to choose and express what and who I am. So I am not longer studying them actively, I just enrich the vocabulary and repeat/remind myself of the grammar, if/when I need it. 

Now I am learning Spanish and I recently started Arabic. I once also comprised Italian in my language learning practices. I chose Italian then because I had a friend there who I wanted to visit and it sounded great to me. Spanish I love because until today I have found out that I resonate a lot with Latin American folks, so would like to visit the place, mainly Argentina. I also want to take part in cinematic projects, so any language is good for me to know. 

I chose Arabic because I love the mystery of the Arabic or Middle Eastern world. And because it is a great challenge, as it contains a script/alphabet, sounds and ways of communicating totally different than the languages I know. I just wanted to feel taking in a totally different personality. 

But I didn't commit to it fully, as I didn't find any opportunities that support that initiative of mine. 

Great topic! 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Rose.Angelie wrote:
how long does it usually take you to learn a new language in a conversational level?

What CERF level do you consider to be a "conversational" level?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

Japanese. I started liking the language during my elementary years, that was the time when I was big in to anime and rpgs.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

leosmith wrote:

Rose.Angelie wrote:

how long does it usually take you to learn a new language in a conversational level?

What CERF level do you consider to be a "conversational" level?

B1/B2 is sufficient basic conversational flow I think ? 

Posted 
    Feedback