How do you like to start learning a language?

Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018LocationCairo / EG
Native
Arabic - Egyptian
Other English, French, Spanish

when you start learning a new language how do you start? do you go to a teaching centre, online courses or self study?. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

Online courses and self stufy. If I want to take it to the next level I might get a 1:1 teacher.

Posted 
Posts114Likes81Joined8/10/2018LocationPH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese

I usually start by finding common phrases and expressions. Then I start looking for a good list of vocab words using Anki.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I like doing self-study through listening to audio recordings or video tutorials.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I start by checking out free resources (ebooks, audiobooks, YouTube, online courses, mobile apps). Then if I feel I need more than that, I look for classes in language centers.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Self study (with time and patience). I like to start with pronouns and verbs, then I'll start to add nouns and start to form phrases :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

I like to search for some vocabulary words of everyday things. I like to write the object in my native language on one side, and on the other side is the name of the object in the language I want to learn. It was also suggested to me to write the name of objects in the language I am learning, on post-it notes and post them on the objects around the house. 

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I always learn pronunciation and at the same time, except if there are Chinese characters involved, the alphabet in the beginning.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

I try to start with free apps for some self-learning. I have one on my mobile phone that's readily available for use. There was another that gave out little fruit whenever you accomplished a milestone or passed an assessment. That was fun. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
I try to start with free apps for some self-learning. I have one on my mobile phone that's readily available for use. There was another that gave out little fruit whenever you accomplished a milestone or passed an assessment. That was fun. :)

That was Busuu. :) I used that too.

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other Arabic - Gulf, English, French, Spanish, Serbian

I usually check online free courses and lessons at the beginning, just to get more familiar with the language. I also look for online courses with discounts on websites for group discounts, then I might compare some prices, and If I find it objective and reasonable, I enroll at face -to-face courses. I also prefer group courses over private sessions, unless I need an intensive approach. I love working alone, but in a group, surrounded by people, so I usually lose motivation when doing everything by myself. 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Well, it depends. In my case, self-study is more convenient for me.

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I started learning by downloading mobile apps like duolingo and by watching youtube turorials. 

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

ikaymoreno wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:

That was Busuu. :) I used that too.

You were supposed to spend the fruit... berries I think... on stuff. But I could never bring myself to do it. I liked my lil, lil fruit.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

As for me, I'm joining a class and in my free time, I make use of online learning resources.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
    Feedback