How many hours per day should you study?

Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2018LocationCairo / EG
Native
Arabic - Egyptian
Other English, French, Spanish

how many hours shall i spend learning a language per day to be perfect at it?

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Amr.Elsayed wrote:
how many hours shall i spend learning a language per day to be perfect at it?

To my way of thinking, nobody can tell you how many hours you should be spending to perfect a language that you would like to learn. For me, the most important thing is your dedication. If you are dedicated to learn, even if you are a busy person, you will find time. :) #justsaying :)

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/11/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning English

It can be a daily hour

Mariseny Barrios

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined13/4/2019LocationAU
Learning English

It depends actually on your seriousness, sincerity and devotion. If such a thing lacks then it needs long hours and vice versa.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

Just enough. Not all hours are equal, one can spend an eternity pretending to learn or one can boil it down into 30 minutes. 

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Clayton.Henderson wrote:
Just enough. Not all hours are equal, one can spend an eternity pretending to learn or one can boil it down into 30 minutes.

It almost sounds like you're saying it's inefficient to study more than 30 min/day.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

My studies actually average about two hours a day of active study and I spend my free time chatting in between clients. I'm referring to things like two hours of duo lingo not equalling two hours of other more rigorous activities. Not all tasks are equal. One can study inefficiently for however many hours. Time doesn't equal efficiency. Longer or shorter, doesn't matter; depends on what the goal is and how one plans to attain it.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined19/9/2019LocationSão Paulo / BR
Native
Portuguese
Learning English, French, Italian, Spanish

In my opinion it makes no sense studying just out of obligation, you will not really concentrate. Discipline is very importante when learning, of course, but your brain will not memorize things if you are just putting effort on the task itself. Then you should look for subjects that really interest you (on youtube videos, blogs, chats, news) and have the language as a background focus. If there's anything you have difficulties, considering vocabulary or gramar issues, go after them having your understanding of the material as a main goal. You'll feel that through this method there's more development of your language skills.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationRizal / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Russian

I don't think it should depend on how long you're going to study them in a day. Personally I think that you should only spend at least thirty minutes or so per day when learning a new language. The rest is up to the lesson plan that you have for yourself. And the time varies for each material that you are studying. Some can be longer or shorter. The important thing is that you're learning something every time you study.

"Не волнуйтесь"

Posted 
Posts18Likes12Joined16/10/2019LocationUS
Native
Danish, English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, German, Macedonian, Norwegian, Spanish

personally, I study for a couple of hours each day. But I would highly recommend doing at least 30 minutes of active language learning such as reading or listening every day and be consistent with it. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

Consistency is the most important in my opinion. How many hours isn't important. What matters is to study right materials and focus hard.

Posted 
    Feedback