Which languages(East Asia) do you prefer to learn? If you have to choose one.

Which languages(East Asia) do you prefer to learn? If you have to choose one.

17.6%

35.3%

35.3%

0%

5.9%

5.9%

0%

This poll will run forever.

Posts0Likes0Joined26/9/2019LocationKR
Native
Korean

In these days, I see a lot of people learning new languages in East Asia countries.

I came up with an idea to give you some interesting facts and information in future about the language you choose the most.

Please choose one if you ever thought about learning :)

*If you leave a comment (1 or 2 sentences) why you choose this language to learn, I'd be appreciated it !!!!! 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined17/9/2019LocationMexico City / MX
Native
Spanish
Learning English, German

I chose Japanese because I used to watch a lot of anime, and it got me interested in Japanese culture beyond their entretainment. :)

Language shapes our view of the world.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

The bottom four languages are all considered SEA (South East Asia) in English, but Tagalog (live here). Malay/Indo (great language, like Esperanto but real). I'd love Korean too for high paying jobs and k-pop.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I speak Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Filipino and Thai. So for me it was between Cantonese, Malay and Vietnamese. I want to learn all of them, but the strongest motivation for me is with Vietnamese. Reasons - I like Vietnamese women, Vietnam is fun to visit, and Vietnamese seems to be the Asian language I hear the most often in the US that I don't already speak.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined23/9/2019LocationNovi Sad / RS
Native
Serbian
Learning Danish, English, Russian

Oh man, that's a tough decision, since they're all SO HARD to learn, and they're all so fascinating and lovely-sounding to my ear. But if I had to pick one it would definitely be Korean.

It may be a slightly dumb reason haha, but I'm a huge fan of esports and video games in general, and Koreans dominate League of Legends, Starcraft and Overwatch like it's nothing. I would absolutely love to be able to watch the Korean broadcasts of these tournaments and watch Korean streamers like Faker and my favourite player Ambition and actually understand what they're saying, that sounds so awesome. There's also some Korean music I love like Sanulrim and Idiotape. And of course, I'd love to visit Korea one day. I guess just being interested in a culture makes me very hyped about learning the language one day.

Too bad there's no place to learn Korean around here (except the Korean teacher at my uni, but he doesn't speak English or Serbian and nobody speaks even a lick of Korean among his students! I wonder how that works and I'm kinda scared to take that class haha).

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Native
Serbian

Forgot to add, the close second would be Chinese, since travelling around China for a prolonged period of time is something I would really, really love to do one day. And I'll probably give it a try next year, as Mandarin is actually a fairly popular language around here.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Native
Korean

I appreciate for all of your interests into Asian languages! I hope you all enjoy learning new languages :)

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined20/9/2019LocationRizal / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Russian

Oh my there are lots to learn from east asian countries. And they're all so hard to learn! If I were to choose, I think I'd go with Niponggo. I also love to watch Anime whenever I have the time so I guess I'm influenced by Niponggo through those shows. You really can't understand what the characters are saying unless you turn the subtitles on and that's where I get to practice listening to their words. Then I'll move on to the manga (comic book) to know more about the side story of some characters which is usually provided for every anime that I've watched. From there I get to practice reading some Japanese characters. Manga are now available online both for Japanese and English translation so I get to switch quickly whenever I'm curious to know about a phrase or two. 

I guess Kosta.Cirkovic is a gamer too based on his post lol. I love playing games and watching esports tournaments but only now do I realize that most of those games like League of Legends and Overwatch have lots of Korean players. If I'm not really fond of watching anime, I think I would've choses Korean as well. But right now, I'll stick to Japanese.

"Не волнуйтесь"

Posted 
Native
Serbian

jpormento wrote:
I guess Kosta.Cirkovic is a gamer too based on his post lol. I love playing games and watching esports tournaments but only now do I realize that most of those games like League of Legends and Overwatch have lots of Korean players. If I'm not really fond of watching anime, I think I would've choses Korean as well. But right now, I'll stick to Japanese.

Haha, that's right! I don't watch anime series because I just don't have the dedication to watch anything divided into hundreds of episodes, but I love a good anime movie :) Giovanni's Island and Colorful are some of my favourites, and Your Name as well, even though I know it's super mainstream. They really gave me a perspective of how awesome Japanese sounds. That and the Japanese game shows like Sasuke and Viking, have you watched those? I used to idolise those guys when I was a kid haha.

Which esports do you watch, btw? Any favourite teams/players? :D

Sorry if the discussion is too offtopic, by the way, I just got a bit hyped haha.

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Kosta.Cirkovic wrote:
they're all SO HARD to learn

All languages are hard to learn, meaning time consuming, but Malay has a reputation of being relatively easy for native indo-european learners such as yourself.

Posted 
Native
Serbian

Sure, I was speaking from my Indo-European perspective. Other Indo-European languages are definitely easier to learn for someone like myself, and a lot of Asian languages are a totally different beast. To be honest, I'm having tons of trouble with Danish already, even though I've learned one Germanic language already, so I can't imagine how tough it could be learning a language so unfamiliar and different.

That's why I've got to try it, though!

JEG KAN IKKE FORSTÅ

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined18/6/2019LocationSan Jose Del Monte / PH
Native
English
Learning Afrikaans, Cebuano, Chinese - Mandarin, Danish, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Spanish, Tagalog

Malay/Indonesian feels like Esperanto. Words are legos, things don't conjugate or decline. Very easy language, great for getting your toes wet for a more intense language in the Austronesian family, such as Tagalog or Malagasy.

Find me on Discord:

https://discord.gg/R4zepcA

Posted 
Native
Korean

Thanks for all your comments here.

All of you seem like interested in Asian Languages!

It is great to know what each of you prefers to learn.

I am thankful for that and hope more people participate in this survey :)

Posted 
Native
Korean

For new users, I hope you guys participate in this vote! So I know what language materials I'll need to prepare for you all in the future! :) 

Posted 
Posts42Likes23Joined4/5/2020LocationGH
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Swahili, Chinese - Cantonese

Korean! Your Korean resources are very helpful, so I hope you will keep posting them.

I'm learning Cantonese as well, but I've made more progress in 3.5 years of Korean than in 10 years of Korean. It may be because there are so many more resources in Korean than in Cantonese. Or more likely because I already speak Japanese, so the similarities between Korean and Japanese make the former easy to learn.

???

Edited 
Native
English
Learning German

Animefangirl wrote:
I've made more progress in 3.5 years of Korean than in 10 years of Korean.

Did you mean 10 years of Cantonese? Incidentally, we have Cantonese Conversations here, claimed by some to be the best listening/reading course for Cantonese.

Posted 
Posts42Likes23Joined4/5/2020LocationGH
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Swahili, Chinese - Cantonese

leosmith wrote:
Animefangirl wrote:
I've made more progress in 3.5 years of Korean than in 10 years of Korean.

Did you mean 10 years of Cantonese? Incidentally, we have Cantonese Conversations here, claimed by some to be the best listening/reading course for Cantonese.

Yes, Cantonese. I can't edit my message any more. The Cantonese Conversations are FANTASTIC. A huge help to my progress.

???

Posted 
Posts2Likes3Joined22/1/2019LocationIN
Native
Marathi
Learning Korean
Other English, French, Gujarati, Hindi

Recently started watching Korean dramas. 

So started learning it. 

Posted 
Posts38Likes31Joined28/1/2021LocationCO
Native
Spanish
Learning English, Portuguese

I'm just in love with chinese culture. 

Also I think it has been attacked for so many years and it's really underrated (in my country).

I hope you have a nice day! Native: Spanish 🌺 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined24/3/2021LocationManila / PH
Native
English
Learning Spanish

I like to learn Mandarin but I know it's hard work. (huhu!)

Japanese sounds fun too because it sounds like a very expressive language. 

I learned Korean back in the university because I like Kdrama. But, I've forgotten about it too. 

Faye

Edited 
    Feedback