A foreign language as a requirement?

Do you think that it should be a requirement to know at least one foreign language to get into the university?

25%

41.7%

33.3%

This poll will run forever.

Posts0Likes0Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

It's not a surprise to see how globalization brings together different cultures, but what about education? At least in my country, you have to pass a proficiency test in English to opt for a postgraduate, master or doctorate degree. Is there a requirement like this in your country? 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's a requirement in the US to have taken a certain number of hours in a foreign language to get into a university, but I think it's a pretty silly requirement. For example, I was an engineer. Knowing foreign languages didn't directly help my career at all, and shouldn't have been a requirement imo. Don't get me wrong, I love languages and think one should learn at least one to be well-rounded, but nobody needs to be forced into it. 

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Yes, particularly English because it's a medium of instruction to get into the university here in my country. But for other languages, I believed it must be optional.

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I don't think so if it doesn't directly relate to the course/major one is studying- like what Leo stated as an example. Unless, if that student plans to pursue his/her studies in a foreign country.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationJonestown / US
Native
English
Learning Italian, Spanish

For many Universities it is a requirement to have taken so many courses or something for a different language. I think it is silly because for many majors, it will not be necessary to use those languages. I believe that for many jobs or careers it is important to have some experience with other languages but should not be required to get into a school.

Taylor Fabio

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

In our country, it's not a requirement but one is expected to at least write, speak and understand the English language, though not with a perfect fluency. However, being fluent in the English language is a big edge over other college students who are not. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I believe it is quite okay to make a decent level of the English language a requirement for university studies. Such tests have been introduced in Ukraine for some Bachelor, and for all Master majors.

I believe this way students have opportunity to access state-of-the-art research results in their field, which are often published in English. They can broaden their understanding of theoretical and applied aspects of the studies if they are able to read and comprehend scientific publications from overseas. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

Here in Nigeria, English is our official language and you must have at least a credit in it to get into the University. A second language should be optional not compulsory. What I cannot understand is why they still demand for TOEFL from us to study abroad, the whole concept is just plain crazy to me.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Oghenekevwe! Yes, schools are so confusing sometimes. Demanding things from students that are not really useful.  

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined3/9/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Learning French

I have you friend in Russia who had to go through their language course for months (and then wrote an exam)before starting proper classes. 

Posted 
Posts230Likes123Joined16/9/2018Location
Native
Spanish
Other English, Italian

I voted No because a lot of people won't use a foreign language in their careers and I just think that is no motive for an University to reject a student seeking for education. That being said, it should be a motivation as an individual to add more skills to your education by learning a second language maybe one like English that is used world wide.

-Ari-

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I voted no, but o actually think everyone on the planet should have to learn universal sign language, no one should be unable to communicate their needs to another person. 

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
everyone on the planet should have to learn universal sign language
I wish there was a universal sign language. Do you mean international sign? I've heard that isn't very universal. If everyone had to learn it, maybe it would become more useful.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Hi Temitope! That sounds quite long way of learning. I wish schools are more patience and embrace the fact that not all students have the same level of learning capabilities.

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

I don't think it's reasonable for universities to require students to know at least one foreign language. It could be a rewarding to some, but could also be a burden to other students. It could also possibly discourage students in pursuing college. I think it would be better to offer foreign language courses as an option and not as a requirement.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationIrpin / UA
Native
Russian, Ukrainian
Other Dutch, English, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish

I also agree with the point that educational institutions should support foreign language learning and provide facilities to do that. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Vladyslava wrote:
I also agree with the point that educational institutions should support foreign language learning and provide facilities to do that.

Do educational institutions there offer foreign language courses as well? 

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined4/10/2018Location
Native
Chinese - Mandarin, English, Chinese - Cantonese
Other French, Indonesian, Russian, Thai, Vietnamese

Hmm.. I can't decide on this, partly because in Singapore, we have a bilingual language system (I didn't say effective), so by default, you will have a "foreign" language to enter university. The requirements might have changed in recent years, but we had to at least pass our second language to be eligible for university entrance. Having said that, most people will not use their second language. 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Charlyn wrote:
Yes, particularly English because it's a medium of instruction to get into the university here in my country. But for other languages, I believed it must be optional.

I believe that foreign language requirements vary from school to school.

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

leosmith wrote:

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
everyone on the planet should have to learn universal sign language
I wish there was a universal sign language. Do you mean international sign? I've heard that isn't very universal. If everyone had to learn it, maybe it would become more useful.

I mean there should be one taught that is universal 

Posted 
    Feedback