trivia anyone?

Posts1526Likes1023Joined18/3/2018LocationPattaya / TH
Native
English
Learning Chinese - Mandarin
Other French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
He did not unzip, of course. He simply peed into an apparatus in his spacesuit, located in the pants.

This pisses me off. There are times when the moon temperature isn't dangerous, so he should have peed freely then. Now we have to send another guy just to properly mark our territory. Thanks Buzz!

Better do it before these guys do. You've got a bunch of artists in a rocket ship doing a flyby of the moon, you KNOW they're gonna try something.

They aren't landing though. Who would shell out that kind of money and not even land?

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#102
Posts28Likes5Joined17/9/2018LocationCavite / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Learning Chinese - Mandarin, German

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Of the twelve crew members of the Enola Gay, only three of them knew exactly why they were flying to Hiroshima that day.
In the film Jurassic Park, the sound of velociraptors barking at each other is actually the sound of a tortoise while mating.
Italy's Mafia turns over $178 billion a year, accounting for 7% of the country's GDP.


Interesting!


Edited 
0
#104
Posts58Likes27Joined8/10/2018LocationManila / PH
Other English, Japanese, Korean

Loving this thread! I can now join a game show and win lol keep 'em coming!

mismei

Posted 
0
#105
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • A University of California, Davis study showed that when people in love stare into each other's eyes, their heartbeats and breathing rates sync together.
  • Posting about yourself in social media causes your brain to release dopamine and give you a nice high. Alcohol, cocaine and heroin also do this.
  • There are 500,000 sweat glands in your feet. Together, your feet can produce one pint of sweat per day.
Edited 
1
#106
Posts32Likes20Joined8/10/2018LocationWien / AT
Native
French, German
Other Arabic - Standard, Japanese, Chinese - Cantonese

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

The largest internal organ is the liver. It is also the heaviest organ, with an average of 1.6 kilograms (3.5 pounds).

The largest external organ, which is also the largest organ in general, is the skin.



I remember that was the final question in one of those million dollar shows

Posted 
0
#107
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • What is the first name of the character Mr. Snuffleupagus of Sesame Street? (Final question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Philippines, 2001. The answer is Aloysius.)

I spent my whole childhood watching Sesame Street and even I didn't know that.  

Edited 
0
#108
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

James Buchanan, the 15th U.S. president continuously bought slaves with his own money in order to free them... For the wrong reasons

Posted 
0
#109
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

In 1386 a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child.

Posted 
0
#110
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • Fast food restaurants use the colors red and yellow because looking at those colors kind of makes you hungry.
  • 12,000 years ago, no one on Earth had blue eyes.
  • One of the rarest Crayola crayon colors was gifted to Oprah on her show. It was a 64-crayon box of "The Color Purple."
Posted 
1
#111
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
James Buchanan, the 15th U.S. president continuously bought slaves with his own money in order to free them... For the wrong reasons

I'm almost afraid to ask. What reasons were those? o_o

Posted 
0
#112
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

James Buchanan, the 15th U.S. president continuously bought slaves with his own money in order to free them... For the wrong reasons

I'm almost afraid to ask. What reasons were those? o_o

www.history.com/.amp/news/james-buchanan-bought-and-freed-slaves-but-not-for-the-reason-you-might-think


At first I thought of him like "oh, something like Oskar Schindler? :o", but no -.-

Posted 
0
#113
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
James Buchanan, the 15th U.S. president continuously bought slaves with his own money in order to free them... For the wrong reasons

I'm almost afraid to ask. What reasons were those? o_o

www.history.com/.amp/news/james-buchanan-bought-and-freed-slaves-but-not-for-the-reason-you-might-think
At first I thought of him like "oh, something like Oskar Schindler? :o", but no -.-


Well it seems they did not end up as free as they thought.. Bummer. o_o

Posted 
0
#114
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

Jess.PWinkler wrote:

James Buchanan, the 15th U.S. president continuously bought slaves with his own money in order to free them... For the wrong reasons

I'm almost afraid to ask. What reasons were those? o_o

www.history.com/.amp/news/james-buchanan-bought-and-freed-slaves-but-not-for-the-reason-you-might-think

At first I thought of him like "oh, something like Oskar Schindler? :o", but no -.-

Well it seems they did not end up as free as they thought.. Bummer. o_o

No haha, in my country the Spanish lords started to free their slaves because it was more expensive to support them than giving them a salary.

Posted 
0
#115
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Google, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and a lot of other websites and apps are banned in China. I learned this today :O

Posted 
0
#116
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Google, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and a lot of other websites and apps are banned in China. I learned this today :O


China has their own versions of Google, YouTube and whatnot. I was not aware that Facebook is also banned. I thought Zuckerberg would have had that wrinkle ironed out.

Posted 
0
#117
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • In Japan you can buy many wonderful things from vending machines, like sake (rice wine), beer, t-shirts, vegetables, eggs, condoms, bananas, neckties, living horned beetles the size of a lemon, used pantsu (they're not really used, they're just made to look that way), fishing gear, kerosene, pornographic magazines, and of course umbrellas.
  • In Japan, you chuck your shoes for some house slippers, and you chuck those for bathroom slippers.
  • Masabumi Hosomo was the sole Japanese passenger on the RMS Titanic. When he returned home, his countrymen condemned him for not going down with the ship and dying with the other passengers, and they branded him a dishonorable coward.
Posted 
0
#118
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • Flushing the toilet after 10:00 PM is illegal in Switzerland.
  • The Canadian Radio Television Commission requires that one in every five songs played on the radio is sung by a Canadian.
  • In 2009, Japan passed a law that made it illegal to be fat.
Posted 
1
#119
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Cactus trivia! In honor of the many people in my immediate environment who have no idea how to take care of a cactus and may end up killing the 4 or 5 cactuses that we have.


  • The Latin plural of cactus is cacti. The English plural of cactus is cactuses. The dictionary says that you can use either one.
  • Cactus water is denser than tap water but it is still safe for drinking.
  • There was an old Aztec prohecy that said their nomadic peoples would settle down in a place where they saw an eagle standing on a cactus and eating a rattlesnake.
  • Cactus stems do all the photosynthesis since it has no leaves.
  • Cacti are not generally poisonous although some cactuses like peyote ocntain psychoactive alkaloids that can get you super high.




Edited 
2
#120
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Halloween special - zombie ants :o


The tropical fungus Ophiocordyceps infects ants’ central nervous systems. By the time the fungi been in the insect bodies for nine days, they have complete control over the host’s movements.

Posted 
0
#121
Posts270Likes105Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Cactus trivia! In honor of the many people in my immediate environment who have no idea how to take care of a cactus and may end up killing the 4 or 5 cactuses that we have.
The Latin plural of cactus is cacti. The English plural of cactus is cactuses. The dictionary says that you can use either one.
Cactus water is denser than tap water but it is still safe for drinking.
There was an old Aztec prohecy that said their nomadic peoples would settle down in a place where they saw an eagle standing on a cactus and eating a rattlesnake.
Cactus stems do all the photosynthesis since it has no leaves.
Cacti are not generally poisonous although some cactuses like peyote ocntain psychoactive alkaloids that can get you super high.



Thanks for sharing this. People always told me that "cacti" is the only true spelling and I knew that was wrong...now I have proof. Ha! :D 

Posted 
0
#122
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Halloween special - zombie ants :o
The tropical fungus Ophiocordyceps infects ants’ central nervous systems. By the time the fungi been in the insect bodies for nine days, they have complete control over the host’s movements.


That's the zombie ant, isn't it? The fungus makes the ant crawl out on a limb and starve to death, then it sprouts a pillar out of the ant's neck and releases spores into the wind! :D  

Posted 
0
#123
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

dragonsky wrote:
Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Cactus trivia! In honor of the many people in my immediate environment who have no idea how to take care of a cactus and may end up killing the 4 or 5 cactuses that we have.
The Latin plural of cactus is cacti. The English plural of cactus is cactuses. The dictionary says that you can use either one.
Cactus water is denser than tap water but it is still safe for drinking.
There was an old Aztec prohecy that said their nomadic peoples would settle down in a place where they saw an eagle standing on a cactus and eating a rattlesnake.
Cactus stems do all the photosynthesis since it has no leaves.
Cacti are not generally poisonous although some cactuses like peyote ocntain psychoactive alkaloids that can get you super high.



Thanks for sharing this. People always told me that "cacti" is the only true spelling and I knew that was wrong...now I have proof. Ha! :D


You're welcome.  

Posted 
1
#124
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Phillip.Laplana wrote:

That's the zombie ant, isn't it? The fungus makes the ant crawl out on a limb and starve to death, then it sprouts a pillar out of the ant's neck and releases spores into the wind! :D


Yessss

Posted 
0
#125
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • Some Eskimos have been known to use refrigerators to keep their food from freezing.
  • Google regularly rents goats to mow the lawns of their corporate headquarters.
  • Coke in a glass bottle really does taste better than Coke from a can or from a plastic bottle. Polymers from a plastic bottle and from the inside coating of an aluminium can can absorb part of the taste and smell. But glass is chemically inert. It has no taste or smell.
Posted 
1
#126
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English
  • Armadillo shells are bulletproof. One Texas man was hospitalized when a bullet he shot at an armadillo ricocheted off the animal and hit him in the jaw.
  • There were active volcanoes on the moon when dinosaurs were alive. Most of the volcanoes probably stopped one billion years ago, but new NASA findings suggest there might still have been active lava flow 100 million years ago, when dinosaurs were still roaming.
  • When there was a cotton shortage during World War I, Kimberly-Clark developed a thin, flat cotton substitute that the army tried to use as a filter in gas masks. The war ended before scientists perfected the material for gas masks, so the company redeveloped it to be smoother and softer, then marketed Kleenex as facial tissue instead.
Posted 
0
#127
Posts36Likes23Joined9/10/2018LocationNairobi / KE
Native
English, Swahili
Learning Spanish

I never knew any of thesethe. This trend is so amazing

I love my pets.
Posted 
0
#128
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

Ancient Egyptians used dead mice to ease toothaches: In Ancient Egypt, people put a dead mouse in their mouth if they had a toothache, according to Nathan Belofsky’s book Strange Medicine: A Shocking History of Real Medical Practices Through the Age. Mice were also used as a warts remedy during Elizabethan England.


Sloths have more neck bones than giraffes: Despite physical length, there are more bones in the neck of a sloth than a giraffe. There are seven vertebrae in the neck of giraffes, and in most mammals, but there are t in a sloth. Still, giraffes are among 23 of the world’s biggest living animals.


Pigeon poop is the property of the British Crown: In the 18th century, pigeon poop was used to make gunpowder, so King George I confirmed the droppings to be property of the crown.

Posted 
0
#129
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English
  • Google's founders were willing to sell to Excite for under $1 million in 1999—but Excite turned them down.
  • There was a third Apple founder. Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake for $800 in 1976.
  • In a 2008 survey, 58% of British teens thought Sherlock Holmes was a real guy, while 20% thought Winston Churchill was not.
Posted 
0
#130
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish
  • Remember when Coca Cola came out with that green version that was colored and flavored with stevia leaf extract? It turns out they didn't need to do that. Without the normally added food coloring, Coca Cola's real color *is* green!
  • The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for Most Frequently Stolen Library Book.
  • The Code of Hammurabi, one of the world's oldest and most complete legal codes stated that the punishment for a bartender who watered down beer was execution.

We're baaaaack! ^__^

Posted 
1
#131
Posts270Likes105Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Remember when Coca Cola came out with that green version that was colored and flavored with stevia leaf extract? It turns out they didn't need to do that. Without the normally added food coloring, Coca Cola's real color *is* green!
The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for Most Frequently Stolen Library Book.
The Code of Hammurabi, one of the world's oldest and most complete legal codes stated that the punishment for a bartender who watered down beer was execution.
We're baaaaack! ^__^


Had no idea about the first one...and hell yeah, I agree about the last one! :D :D 

Posted 
1
#132
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Wow, I just read this thread and most of these are new information for me! (and they're really interesting to know!) Thanks for sharing guys, I'm trying read back all of them. Haha I wish I had something to share.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#133
Posts204Likes82Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Very Interesting! Different looks of beautiful women around the world.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
1
#134
Posts436Likes223Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIOPHOBIA is the fear of long word xD

Posted 
0
#135
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIOPHOBIA is the fear of long word xD
No way! I call b--... oh wait, the internet says it is so. It must be true. :D

Posted 
1
#136
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Today's trivia is in pictures!


1. The world is a cat. Playing with Australia.


2. You can fit a bucketload of Switzerlands inside of Brazil.


3. and finally, here is a map of ALL PUBS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM


You know... just in case you're a mite thirsty for a pint or two.

Posted 
1
#137
Posts345Likes190Joined13/7/2018LocationPasig / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, French, Spanish

Using "Femto Photography," scientists at MIT have developed a camera that can record one trillion exposures per second. That's so very near the speed of light that you can actually *watch* a burst of light travelling in slow motion through a Coke bottle filled with water. Holy crap. I always wondered what that would look like.




Posted 
0
#138
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

- Cocoa beans aren't really beans, but seeds.


- Before a process called fermentation is finished, they haven't got their typical cocoa aroma yet.


- The vanilla spice is sort of a fruit. It is the fruit of a tropical orchid. And it also is fermented.

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Posted 
0
#139
Posts1Likes0Joined18/12/2022LocationGB
Native
English
Learning Latin

Phillip.Laplana wrote:
Jess.PWinkler wrote:
Google, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and a lot of other websites and apps are banned in China. I learned this today :O

China has their own versions of Google, YouTube and whatnot. I was not aware that Facebook is also banned. I thought Zuckerberg would have had that wrinkle ironed out.

I Think China Don't have there own WhatsApp version like Google or YouTube, Most of my friends who are living in china they said we use qqchat application as our WhatsApp messenger.

Posted 
0
#140
Posts4Likes2Joined18/1/2022Location

The melting point of graphite ranges between 4000 and 5000 K depending on the pressure. The covalent bonds between the individual atoms are very strong. In order for graphite to melt, it is these bonds that need to be broken. The strength of these bonds is comparable to those in diamond, another allotrope of carbon. And similar to diamond, the melting point of graphite would have to be very high. In fact, at normal atmospheric temperature, neither substance can melt. Instead, they burn (or sublimate) at about 3600°C.

However, by increasing the pressure on graphite, it can be induced to melt rather than burn at a high temperature. Experiments have revealed that, depending on the pressure, the melting point of graphite can range between 4000K and 5000K.

Posted 
0
#141
    Feedback